K20 type r swap

billysandoval

I got a 98 ls body. I want to do a motor swap cuz I'm getting a lot of blow by from my current engine b18b1 and ik it's the rings. How difficult is puttin a k series into my car? Funds aren't a problem. But I want to do it myself. Any ideas?

derby

i would go wih the type -s but crazy projet bro im looking to do the same to my 95 but with a type-s good luck

5150KDC2

Well worth it. The type s is a cheaper swap, but the type r is way better to do imo. Good luck, let me know how it goes. And put pics up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

phatintegra

Banned
I know allot of people are going K20 Accord Block with K24 Head (RSX-S) Frank motor. It's cheaper route then to buy a JDM K ITR motor.

MrGurley

************5-0
did you mean k24 accord block with a k20 head?
That's what he should have said, the new k24s have the same head as the k20 from the factory just fyi

And OP if funds arnt a problem take it to a shop tell them what your looking to do and let them do it because obvously if you don't know how to search with google a motor swap is waaaaaaaay outta the question

built_ls

That's what he should have said, the new k24s have the same head as the k20 from the factory just fyi

And OP if funds arnt a problem take it to a shop tell them what your looking to do and let them do it because obvously if you don't know how to search with google a motor swap is waaaaaaaay outta the question
lol at this nigga. i guess if he messes up he'll just start over

Cloudedjudgment

K24/k20 frank swap is alot cheaper than a k20a will ever be. Jump on k20a.org and read alot, every question you could ever ask is on there and has been answered. It's literally a bolt in affair aside from the passenger mount having to be cut off and the new one bolted on, or welded in. Just a few sites to get you started;
www.hybrid-racing.com
www.ktuned.com

Ps: the only k24 that shared the same head as a k20 was the 04-06 TSX k24a2, and it's just the same casting.

phatintegra

Banned
Oh crap I had it backwards thanks tony for catching it.

Just giving options that he can do more with a Frank motor and still be cheaper then buying a JDM ITR K.

Last edited:

RED Integra

Can some1 give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost for both k24(tsx/accord) bottom with k20 top VS just the k20 type s swap? Which would b "faster/better"? In a 3rd gen tegra. So far I can get a tsx motor w/o tranny for $1500 and k20 with tranny for $3500-$5000. Thnx

Screech

beer budget white trash
ummm... to my understanding k24a1 heads out flow the a3 head.
its not an accord bottom end you use in stock form for the frank. its a CRV K24a1 or a tsx bottom. you will have piston to valve interference.
the k24a1 bottoms normally go for 300 bucks bare no accessories. the k24z1 are not sought after due to the midshaft requirement. you have to use a mt tsx or a mt accord 04-07 shaft. good luck with that. took me 4 months and a guy randomly had one laying in the back of his shed.
the a2/z1 heads are ~600 complete.
The A2 trans is a low final drive 4.3 vs the z1 trans has a 4.7. the itr trans has a 4.7, the ctr trans has a 5.0. gearing for the a2 and z1 are nearly the same. you can go with a ep3 trans 5 speed. Numerous people are in the 7-800 hp range with a stock ep3 trans with a qualife lsd.
the itr trans go for 15-2500, the a2 ~600. the ep3 ~600.
if you looking for a stock a2 longblock look to spend 1k. a frank your looking at 1500+. a tsx head does not make power in higher rpms compared to the a2/z1/z3 head. your at 10.5 compression ratio with the tsx longblock, compared to 9.8 I belive with the crv longblock.
I milled my z1 head for my k24z1 bottom, just to raise the compression slightly. by how much, not sure dont care its a stock bottom, lol.
If your looking to boost. boost a B. there is no NA power like a K and you may as well save your money by staying B if your just looking for the higher hp numbers.
The heads for years differ for dual spring vs single valve springs. 02 is dual for sure. 03, 04 sometimes you have dual or or you have single on the intake side. you cut a rbc or a rrc intake off on the right side to be able to place your coolant port on the head.
z3 heads you can only run the skunk2 intake manifold, rrc, rbc, or rbb (lol why one would do this dont know) also they are single valve springs.
I think I have ~4-6k in my eg, and about 5k in my integra. I am running a k20a3 with a a2 trans in the teg, yeilding 29 mpg. and have a k24z1 bottom, k20z1 head, ported rbc manifold, hr fuel rail, 4-1 header, itr trans, dss axles, aem 1030, basic fun stuff. its been my year long project.
you will want to swap the oil pump out of any of the long blocks with the a2 or modded s2k oil pump.
here is a link for you:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53589

Last edited: