k20a1 or k20a2?

bphillips

what is the real difference between the k20a1 and the k20a2. i hear that the a1 has more torque but the a2 has more horse power. and doesnt the motor top out at 7300 rpms or am i wrong? please reply

michaelz

think you're mistaken, there's a K20A2 which is the earlier motor in a RSX-S and makes 200HP. the later RSX-S motor from 05 is the K20Z1 and makes 210HP. rev limit is the same for both around 8000rpm and torque is pretty much the same too.

JDM K20A from the DC5R makes 220HP and more torque than either of the US engines.

bphillips

and im just wondering because theres a rsx in my town and im not sure if its a type s or not but i asked if it had the a2 and he said no it had the a1 which threw me off because i thought it had the a2 and i asked if the a2 was faster and he said one was a little more torquier than the other and i thought that sounded wrong and i thought the a1 topped out at 7300. so when he told me he was putting on a centrifugal super charger on it i figured it would be a waste because he would only get a little bit of power.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
There is no K20A1. The RSX in America came with either the K20A3 (base), K20A2 (03-04 Type S) or K20Z1 (05-06 Type S). There are a bunch of other variants around the world, but no A1.

bphillips

bit the base models come with the a1 and a3 comes in the civic si and the type S comes with an a2.

Cripton805

bit the base models come with the a1 and a3 comes in the civic si and the type S comes with an a2.
You're way wrong.
The Civic Si didn't come with the a2 the EP3 came with an a3.
The newer ones are K20z's and the 2012 won't even have a K20.

The RSX base model and Civic Si (EP3) came with the a3.
The RSX-S came with the a2 and K20z.
The newer Si's only came in the K20z until 2012 models.

No a1