kicking it up a notch going turbo :headbang: but help lol

da9_Turbo

Honda "R" Us racing :head
so i have an ls block rebuild less than 1k miles and going turbo what is it that i need??
i got the turbo kit from my performance part shop its not a brand name but hes giving me warranty bcuz its a generic brand.
so i need....
1. turbo kit check!
2. injectors
3. fuel pump
4 gauges
5. chip and tune
what else do i need???

emd513

Depending on how much boost your going depends on the parts. If it is over 8 lbs and the motor was rebuilt stock you need to upgrade your headgasket(reccomend eagle). You will need arp head studs, catch can, did the kit come with all the oil lines intercooler so forth. There's a whole lot. You need to tap the pan for a return. There is several threads with this in it try searching with different headlines.

da9_Turbo

yup the kit comes with everything and im going to be running at least 8-10lbs of boost thats all just to play with

emd513

Like I said over 8 to be on the safe side get arp studs and a better head gasket, good tune and you should be good if all the parts are there.

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
so i have an ls block rebuild less than 1k miles and going turbo what is it that i need??
i got the turbo kit from my performance part shop its not a brand name but hes giving me warranty bcuz its a generic brand.
so i need....
1. turbo kit check!
2. injectors
3. fuel pump
4 gauges
5. chip and tune
what else do i need???
turbo
turbo manifold
downpipe
wastegate
dumptube
turbo feed line and drain line
oil drain in oil pan
blow off valve
fmic
fmic piping
1 step colder plugs
chipped ecu
tune
clutch
fuel pump
fuel injectors
map sensor
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge

The list I have given you is really the essentials to having a proper turbo kit. Some parts you might not need and can get away without, but its stupid to not have them if you know what I mean. turbocharging isnt cheap, and if it is, youre doing it wrong.

Depending on how much boost your going depends on the parts. If it is over 8 lbs and the motor was rebuilt stock you need to upgrade your headgasket(reccomend eagle). You will need arp head studs, catch can, did the kit come with all the oil lines intercooler so forth. There's a whole lot. You need to tap the pan for a return. There is several threads with this in it try searching with different headlines.
Im sorry but the information you have given is not necessarily true. In the aspects of forced induction, lbs or PSI is not really any indication on whether or not someone has to "do" something unless you are dealing with the stock map sensor which only reads up to 11psi.

If his motor is rebuilt, I suggest oem head gaskets over anything. If you are 84mm go golden eagle which is still a bored out OEM. Head studs are a nice thing to get while you are putting everything back together, but not neccessary. You can buy brand new oem head studs, and DO NOT REUSE YOUR HEAD STUDS, contrary to what people on here will tell you, because they stretch.

da9_Turbo

alexD thnks for the list i made a comparison to mine and it similar just for got bout the oil pressure gauge
clutch im getting a stage 3 F & S 6 puck racing clutch

Prozon

Kris
To add to AlexD's list.

Exhaust system- 2.5" or bigger.
Dual or Triple core half radiator.
Oil sandwich plate. (To run the oil feed line off of.)

da9_Turbo

@ alexd
yea its a good brand its in LA & regarding the wideband ima work on getting one
@prozon
yup got all that stuff
@tam4511
i still am but all this advice is good =)
@turboda4dr
i knw bout the generic being all iffy but hey lets risk and hope for the best & im also going to be working on another build ls-v turbo and thats going to have top of the line stuff
ill post pics of everything once i start it & thnks guys for the advice and help =)

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
Arp headstuds are cheap and a very good idea when going with boost..
I however completely disagree with getting an aftermarket headgasket!!
I'm running 18lbs and throwing down 540 at the wheels and still using a stock headgasket. I have seen nothing but problems when people but an aftermarket headgasket. The stock gasket is capable of reliably holding up to 600hp with no problem! Also the wideband is a MUST!
The best thing to remember is when boosting you can have fast, reliable, cheap. U can only have two of the three that's just how it goes. if u have any particular questions feel free to pm me I have been building and tuning high hp honda/acura cars for years and never mind helping people out
Good luck with the build

Prozon

Kris
Regarding your LS/Vtec Turbo build.. why?
I actually thought about doing this with this build.. but then I thought, WHY?

If I want to get more power- I can adjust the build slightly.. run different comp, run more boost/fuel..
It just doesn't seem like a good idea to rig something up and then boost it.