Kileys K20z3 DC D.D.

Beat92240

S-Chassis is perfect because u can't make a whole lot of power in a KA, now the F20/22 is just way to amazing of a motor to pull out of anything. Easily one of the best motors ever made! Now KA? thats deffinately removable stuff right there...haha.

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
S-Chassis is perfect because u can't make a whole lot of power in a KA, now the F20/22 is just way to amazing of a motor to pull out of anything. Easily one of the best motors ever made! Now KA? thats deffinately removable stuff right there...haha.
I had a mildly built sr20 in my old s-13. sr20det with cp bottom end and gt2860rs aka the disco potato. she made 250whp on that tiny little baby t25g before the turbo blew and i switched to the disco potato. people are making abotu 450-500whp with the ka motors these days and similar tq. i would still love an ls1 thought. 30mpg, 400whp with basic mods, perfect little sleeper

Beat92240

I had a mildly built sr20 in my old s-13. sr20det with cp bottom end and gt2860rs aka the disco potato. she made 250whp on that tiny little baby t25g before the turbo blew and i switched to the disco potato. people are making abotu 450-500whp with the ka motors these days and similar tq. i would still love an ls1 thought. 30mpg, 400whp with basic mods, perfect little sleeper
Theres no doubt that its way more reliable numbers out of an LS too. I mean its all factory! Can't go wrong with that type of reliability. I've gained a lot of respect for it and I'm a long time GM hater. Can't argue with that motor though.

Beat92240

I unloaded my DC header in exchange for a great deal I got on an Hytech Rep header. Even the Rep header show that it makes around 10 whp better than the DC's so I felt it was worth the extra money.

I also tossed the K20a2 power steering pump in favor of an MR2 Electric Power Steering Pump. Karcepts says it gains between 5-8 whp due to reduced parasitic drag right on their website. Not to mention not as much concern with hood clearance around the power steering pulley which was the bigger issue to me. Not to concerned with 5-8 whp on a DD car just didn't want to cut my hood all up....BUT that'll add another section on here even though its already pretty well documented on K20a.

I also ordered the ACL rod/main/thrust bearings for replacement to get the motor back. Apparently ACL got caught up in the bad economy and filed bankrupcy last year so these are getting hard to get hands on regularly from some distributors. But should have the motor back in 2 weeks or less.

Beat92240

Water

WATER
Another part of the swap that is small that is seldom brought up in any build threads out there.

Hybrid-Racing has pre-formed K20z3 radiator hoses which is what I'll be using. I'll also be using the half rad that came with my integra because its already an aluminum rad. As per Hybrid-Racing's hose instructions, I'll be moving my rad to my driver side. I'll then use their hose with a 32mm adapter to plug an aftermarket coolant temp sensor into. A 32mm adapter is required regaurdless (or just a straight piece of 32mm piping) to angle the lower Hybrid-Racing K20z3 hose for the factory style rad. This step can be skipped if you're using Hybrid-Racing or a similar brands side exit lower rad hose radiator.

For a side note from what I've found D series have 28mm rad hoses, so if you're looking at doing this in an EG/EK and plan on keeping the factory rad you'll need a reducer from the K20z3 32mm rad hosing to the 28mm D series radiator.

Next is the heater core hosing. I do plan on keeping my heater core hooked up because its a DD. Currently my engine is up at the builders so I have no real access to it. My friend is also doing a K20z3 swap in his EG though so I had him pull some measurements for me:
For location reference, this is a look at what will be the driver side of the motor. As you can see the upper housing outlet (the one that goes to the IACV, etc) is 17.28MM OD, the lower hard pipe coming from the thermostat housing on the front of the block is a 20.40MM OD. Another issue is that the top housing outlet is angled towards the driver side of the car meaning youll need a quick and heavy bend in any hose you intend on running to our heater cores.

I've come up with a simple way to get around the idea of tracking down reducers since it is difficult to find the proper sizes needed for the swap over the counter. So heres what I'm doing, and I think it'll be almost as cheap and way easier.

I went to Honda and ordered:
79725-SVB-A00 for about 4 bucks. This is the K20z3's factory transmission side water line from the head to the heater core. This has the reduction molded into it that's needed. This will be on the outlet (Drive Side on the Integra) of the heater core. I'm then going to get a straight through 15.75mm joiner to attach this one to the extra bend I'll need.
As for the other reducer I'm still working with my guy from my local Honda to find where the reduction happens on the other line. Should have that within the next week or two unless anyone else knows off the top of their head where that reduction happens in the factory line. I can say its NOT in the straight coupler like it looks in the parts picture. We got that in and measure and there is no reduction. We're ordering in that line that attaches to the motor side next to see if thats where the line reduces.

After that, we should just need a couple 15.75mm hoses to make the last bends to get those reducers hooked into the heater core and well be good!

Last edited:

dopematic

Cooling... one of the most overlooked aspects when putting together a build. Great job! Love your thorough explanations with each post. :thumbs up

Beat92240

Christmas Goodies!!!!!
Got the Hybrid Racing K20z3 Swap Radiator Hoses, Hybrid Racing K20z3 Oil Cooler Hoses (figured do these while the motor was out), and Hybrid Racing Shifter Bushings. All of these are self explanitory why I got them except for the shifter bushing for those of you that have questions about these because I know I did. But with my typical over-research, I decided to go with the Hybrid Racing ones. So heres some info on these bushings and what to look for when looking to purchase a set:

1) Hybrid gives an arguement for one thing about theirs that seems to make theirs better than any other I've seen on the market: They have a spherical bearing in them instead of just being completely solid. This to me (and to their research) has been shown to increase shifter linkage longevity. A completely solid shifter bushing allows only 1 degree of movement while the sperical bushings on the Hybrid bushings still allow the same 2 degrees of movement as the factory bushings while still offering a much firmer shift.

2) As you'll notice the shifter bushings are dependent on different years. I'm using a differen't year transmission (09) and different year bushings (06). So I was concerned with what year I needed to buy my bushings for since theres one set for an 06 civic SI and another set for an 07 + civic SI. The bushings to buy depend on the shifter cables themselves, not the transmission. The diameter of the bushings is different on the 06 shifter cables and the 07 and up cables where as the transmission shifter assembly remains the same diameter on all years.

Hopefully this shows you what to look for. It was enough to settle me on which set of bushings to go with even though there were cheaper ones. As always, the Hybrid stuff came in quick and along with their great customer service. I'm a lifer to Hybrid Racing now!

Heres the latest picture of the motor making it back to my garage finally! Took a quick little shot of it with the winter valve cover and my RB26 in the backround I had to pull out of my 240 to do some transmission work on....

Last edited:

Death-the-Kid

anta honma ni shinude
Christmas Goodies!!!!!
Got the Hybrid Racing K20z3 Swap Radiator Hoses, Hybrid Racing K20z3 Oil Cooler Hoses (figured do these while the motor was out), and Hybrid Racing Shifter Bushings. All of these are self explanitory why I got them except for the shifter bushing for those of you that have questions about these because I know I did. But with my typical over-research, I decided to go with the Hybrid Racing ones. So heres some info on these bushings and what to look for when looking to purchase a set:

1) Hybrid gives an arguement for one thing about theirs that seems to make theirs better than any other I've seen on the market: They have a spherical bearing in them instead of just being completely solid. This to me (and to their research) has been shown to increase shifter linkage longevity. A completely solid shifter bushing allows only 1 degree of movement while the sperical bushings on the Hybrid bushings still allow the same 2 degrees of movement as the factory bushings while still offering a much firmer shift.

2) As you'll notice the shifter bushings are dependent on different years. I'm using a differen't year transmission (09) and different year bushings (06). So I was concerned with what year I needed to buy my bushings for since theres one set for an 06 civic SI and another set for an 07 + civic SI. The bushings to buy depend on the shifter cables themselves, not the transmission. The diameter of the bushings is different on the 06 shifter cables and the 07 and up cables where as the transmission shifter assembly remains the same diameter on all years.

Hopefully this shows you what to look for. It was enough to settle me on which set of bushings to go with even though there were cheaper ones. As always, the Hybrid stuff came in quick and along with their great customer service. I'm a lifer to Hybrid Racing now!

Heres the latest picture of the motor making it back to my garage finally! Took a quick little shot of it with the winter valve cover and my RB26 in the backround I had to pull out of my 240 to do some transmission work on....
Forget the sexy k-series.. more pics of the rb26dett....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Beat92240

Ask and you shall recieve....
How I got it:

Add a little but of this:

And a little of that:

Come out with one of these:

Only real shot I have of it completed that my buddy took at the tune date. I wasnt planning on getting a whole lot til the body work was all finished up...