KNOWtheLEDGE 1st Time LS-Vtec Build

KNOWtheLEDGE

1 800 GETATME
What's up everybody. Thought I'd introduce all y'all to what I've been playin around with for the past couple months.
I always wanted to actually go through n build a motor, learn some s*** on the way. It all started damn near a year ago when I picked up a b16 head, complete minus the distributor. Started doin a lil research, decided which route to go, n blah-dow! Here we go.
My plans are to build a hi comp n/a lsv, daily driven.

First thing I did was take the cover off, do a lil inspecting, and painted the vc.

Ended up picking up a b18 block, bored to 81.5mm, came with some eagle rods and cp pistons. Ended up selling the slugs to a buddy of mine since he's building a turbo, they were low comp turbo pistons. Now the fun stuff comes. Buying parts!

Cleaned up the block a lil bit..

First set of parts came in.. nothing special, Golden Eagle lsv kit and some skunk2 magnetic plugs.

Second set of parts.. some buddyclub cam gears, il4 valvesprings and retainers, and some supertech flat faced hi-comp valves.

Ended up goin through all the misc parts in bags n whatnot, got it organized.

Third set of parts! Il4 procast hi-comp pr3 pistons in 81.5mm, some arp headstuds, Hastings rings, carbon plug wire cover.

Ended up picking up a 1st gen Skunk2 proseries intake mani, and a Skunk2 68mm throttlebody.

Cleaned up the block, head, and painted the motor along with the mani & tb.

Last purchase, some RC 440 injectors and some free dsm injectors. Thinkin dude said they were 660 or some s***..?

Anyways, this is where its at.. still gotta figure out cams. And Ima be bringing in the crank to get micropolished and measure for bearings. And Ima need to find new rods, since the slugs are press fit and the rods are free floating.

Any and all comments/suggestions welcome.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
keep up the progess and less instagram filters.
Cams should be based around the pistons really, after install of the cams and timing, do a valve adjustment. Also i suggest adjustable cam gears and a cut valve cover for tuning. also save for a hondata

KNOWtheLEDGE

1 800 GETATME
Yea I dunno what instagram is.. as for the cam gears, they are adjustable. And I will eventually cut the valve cover for the gears.
And cams.. I'm thinkin along the lines of skunk2 stage2's, but I'm open to other suggestions!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its the iphone app with photo filters. i hate images with filters.

But what pistons do you have? this makes a big difference whats your compression ?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
yeah whats the compression on them? PR3 with a complete ls bottom is about 12:1 compression the skunk2 stage 2 are a good choice. I would even say the stage 3 is possible but the stage 2 would be more realistic

Sammich

Yea I'm on g2ic, I might have made this name on there cuz I forgot my original info. But I'm also Stock90gs on g2ic. Old comp had the info still saved =]
oh ok...i remember that SN being used on G2ic a while back, you're not him, but still dope build. i want to do the same one day

KNOWtheLEDGE

1 800 GETATME
I think the CR of the pistons are around 11:1, ill have to check..

And yea, good ol g2ic was a godsend when I had my first DB back in like 04ish?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
on the side of the head where the vtec solenoid go, there are two hex hole things on each side, i think those take out the rocker arms. look up the LMA replacement threads on honda tech