Laundry List of problems...any help would be appreciated!

P4NICATTK

So...how's it going CI? I'm Panic and I'm new here, and also new to the whole Integra scene. I recently purchased a 1990 LS, and as I stated, it has a veritable laundry list of problems. I'm in deep into this old girl, and when she works, she's a lot of fun to drive...and so that's why I really would like to fix her up and get her running well.

Here are the details: 1990 Acura Integra LS, automatic, 150k miles. She currently doesn't pass smog, idles hideously, and as of this week, will not start.

I'm not super super concerned with the smog/idle issues...I've been reading up on the issues and I feel like I probably have it cornered. Hopefully. The big problem now is the starting...so here we go.

Last week, I came out to a dead car. No power of any kind...no dome lights when door was opened, no chime, no gauge lights...nothing. I figured it was a battery issue and so I bought a new one. When I installed it, the car started, no big deal and I thought that was that. I came out the next day, and the car was dead again...same as before, no power anywhere. I got a jump and took it to a shop...they disconnected the "security system" it came with, along with the giant kitchen-cabinet sized speaker in the trunk...and it seemed like that was that. But unfortunately...the next morning, the same thing...dead car and frustrated Panic.

I got another jump, and drove the car around to charge the battery and then got the bright idea to disconnect the battery when I parked her overnight to avoid the issue, and it seemed to work. This morning, I connected the battery, and she started right up, no big deal. I drove her to O'reilly to buy a new fuel filter, and when I came out...she wouldn't start right up. I had to crank the car several times before it finally started. I drove to my folks' house, disconnected the battery. and ran errands. When I went to leave, I reconnected, and nothing.

No power, no crank, no nothing. When I turn the key to start, I get like one click and then the car goes dark. Now, the odd thing is, when the car goes dark, if I bounce around in the seat, the power comes back on. If I smack the dash, the power goes back on, or if I kick at the area where the floor meets the firewall...power comes back. But as soon as I try to start the car...dead.

Now...I'm at my wits end and I need this old girl to be a reliable vehicle. Help me Club Integra...you guys are my only hope!

DarkDB1

Strange about power returning after beating up the interior a bit. Sounds like a lose power somewhere...

But, I'm going to guess the alternator took a dump on you... The battery is only used to start the car and run an alarm system. If your alternator has gone bad, it will not charge the battery from the loss of power starting the car and it will run only on the battery. so by the time you are done, the battery has depleated of most of it's power causing the car not to start.

zack11122

Its not the alternator.. It would die while he was driving. Does the car start when it cools off? It could be the main relay.

phatintegra

Banned
If the Alternator took a dump The battery light should come on on the cluster if the motor is running. It's telling you that the alternator is not charging the battery.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere are you have acid build up on the battery terminal. You can use coke and a tooth brush to clean up the acid.
Do you have an alarm system or any kind of aftermarket electronic?

Volklord

Non V-Tec B18b1
check your engine grounds make sure they are intact, and main cable to the starter ? does it look damaged burnt? shorted?

DarkDB1

Its not the alternator.. It would die while he was driving. Does the car start when it cools off? It could be the main relay.
An alternator can be running at less than the required 12 volts which will be enough to help keep the car alive but not fully charge the battery, Had it happen to my friends Infiniti once.

But your right that it would set off the battery/alternator light... There could also be a ground behind the head unit that is constantly feeding power