leaking coolant help please

camopaint0707

My 95 sedan shot out one of the coolant temp sensor things and now its leaking coolant badly. The plug came from somewhere below the intake manifold because that is where I can see the coolant leaking from. It also had a spring attached to it but that broke off. Does anyone know where the temp sensors are located so I could just buy a new one and throw it on.

Prozon

Kris
It really shouldn't shoot out...

There is one around the oil filter on the back of the block, and one below the head by the distributor.
(On a B18a1/ B18b1)

camopaint0707

yeah its the one from the back of the block by the oil filter, i can't seem to get to it so i'm gonna have to take the whole manifold off

Prozon

Kris
It could be a freeze plug if your dealing with cold weather. It makes more sense a freeze plug came out then a sensor did..
Jack the car up and slide under it, look up from the back of the engine.. you will probably get a better idea. (And easier access then removing the intake manifold..)

camopaint0707

its still really hard to see anything from underneath the car either

mirrorimg

Freeze plugs are not going to be an issue. You would be more likely to blow a hole in the block before those freeze plugs move a millimeter.

I dont recognize that sensor at all, and I do not see any threading on it that would allow it to bolt into the block.

The only sensor on the back of the block is the Oil Pressure sensor, as seen here.

The coolant temperature sensor is on the passenger side of the head, on the far left in this picture. The part in the middle is called the "thermo unit" per acura's parts description, and there is a thermo switch on the thermostat housing.

Try getting a picture of the location the coolant is coming out. If you say it really did "blow out," then you probably have some stripped threads or the threading portion of the sensor stuck in the block. Doesnt sound fun to me either way.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
See this is why I love you Jason. (Heterosexual love that is.) :D

And doesn't it defeat the purpose of a freeze plug if the block cracks/breaks before it comes out? Lol. It's supposed to pop out to prevent that.

mirrorimg

See this is why I love you Jason. (Heterosexual love that is.) :D

And doesn't it defeat the purpose of a freeze plug if the block cracks/breaks before it comes out? Lol. It's supposed to pop out to prevent that.
I assumed the manufacturer put it in so that, at a later date, the port could be used for another purpose.

Many people take out the plugs, and put in some AN fittings for a breather set up.

Prozon

Kris
Those plugs aren't freeze plugs, they're just plugs lol. Looking at the block and head I couldn't find any conventional freeze plugs. Google it to see what i'm referring to.

camopaint0707

well still have no idea what that plug is but the leak stopped, i replaced a few coolant hoses on the back of the block and it stopped leaking coolant so idk what the heck that was, thanks for the input though guys