Leaking coolant.

ZachK

I was really unsure where to post this, but this seemed to fit the bill the most.

I had some work done about 4-5 months ago to my oil pan (as it too was leaking at an alarming rate, now its just slowed down to where I have to fill it back up about 2-3 months later) and before that I replaced the radiator hose (the thick one to the left of the engine, maybe its something else.) as it had a pencil sized hole and was leaking coolant visibly. But, a few months later I smell burning coolant/oil again, and I checked the reservoir and it was bone dry. I replaced it to the max line, took a ten minute drive, and it was below the min line. My main question is where would I look to find the source of the leaking coolant/oil and what to do to fix it.

I'm trying to learn how to fix my own car so I don't have to take it to get serviced over simple things, as most garages seem to be overpriced, or not address the problem.

It's a 95 Integra LS, special edition, 5spd.

cody110

Integra Atheist
first check all your hose clamps and hoses it could be a number of things if your smelling it could be hitting you header from a hose leak check your water pump also worse comes worse it could be a head gasket i am not a pro but i no the basics for the leaking oil check your oil filter you may need a new one when your car idles do you smell coolant in the exhaust it will be a sweet smell?

ZachK

I know even less, haha. I'd have trouble identifying parts. Would there be a diagram somewhere online? I'll check... And about the bubbles in the hose... I have no idea.

TEG.

I spotted some leaking under the car today. I was watching it drip down right beside the catalytic converter , I think it was engine coolant because it was a green liquid and that was the only thing that came to mind and it was dry when I checked.
I'm with ZachK on this one, I just bought my car not to long ago as well and would like to know how to repair stuff myself.
would anyone have an idea where I should go at this point ?
and as well if my coolant does dry out while im driving, what could happen(its about -10 here)?

OneFastGSR

In order to bleed the coolant system, When the car is cold take off the radiator cap and turn on the car. In the radiator you'll probably see bubbles in their and just let it idle with the cap off until there is no bubbles anymore. That will bleed the coolant system. Than try to locate where the coolant is leaking (Park in a dry spot and check under your car for any coolant and than see where the spot came from. Left or right side etc. If it's coming from hose get clamps and tighten them down as much as you can, If it's near water pump you probably got water pump going out. If there's no leaks anywhere than check your oil to see if there is any oil and coolant mixed together. If there's oil/coolant together than it's headgasket. You might have a headgasket leak but not a blown headgasket which will cause it to basically burn coolant. Which will need a headgasket replacement also.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It's probablly just a bad radiator hose, just let it run and keep an eye under the hood and look for the leak. It doesn't take much to cause it to leak out.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
oh god how i love when my car rips a hose -.- seriously its actually kinda fun, just annoying when its unexpected. The car is getting old (all of ours are) and its basicly time to change the hoses. I'd just do it one at a time. As sooner or later, they will tear, rip, split, whatever, they WILL. I've had 3 rips in my hoses in the last year and coolant was just everywhere, was no simple leak. Although a leak is harder to find. Try to look for some steam coming from the engine bay, with the hood up. It can tell you which general area its coming from. Then look for wet areas, whats wet, whats not wet, then trace it to which hose is leaking. You can do this with the car off, just the car needs to warmed up and leaking enough coolant for it to make steam. I always carry a gallon of prestone 50/50 cuz i know it will happen again. as for oil, idk, thats never been a problem for me, idk what to tell you about that. but keep us updated :)

TEG.

I didn't see any steam from the engine bay . I looked hard for a good 5 min or so . but when I did check underneath, it was dripping on the right side of the cat converter. and I believe there was just steam from the drips of coolant landing on it

will definitely keep you guys updated !

tucents

if you have any buddies that are mechanics ask them to use their coolant pressure tester, thatll usually find the problem if its leaking that bad, liek the others said possibly you might just have to tighten the hose clamps, i had a customer the other day who had a rad hose replaced but didnt tighten it enough and coolant would piss out like 1 litre in less than 30 seconds

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
if you have any buddies that are mechanics ask them to use their coolant pressure tester, thatll usually find the problem if its leaking that bad, liek the others said possibly you might just have to tighten the hose clamps, i had a customer the other day who had a rad hose replaced but didnt tighten it enough and coolant would piss out like 1 litre in less than 30 seconds
Im a victim of that, but not for a hose clamp lol

yes even in the winter you need coolant, and i highly recommend NOT to use water inside your coolant system except for 50/50, if it freezes, it will crack the engine somewhere.