Leaking Mystery???

travistrouble

So since I got this car in October i've noticed leaking either oil or antifreeze near my headers and I thought it was coolant so I replaced my thermostat, lower and upper housing gasket, upper and lower radiator hose, and heater hose about 2 weeks ago.... I decided to clean the leak area up with degreaser and after about a week, I'm back to this....

I can't tell where it is coming from but my oil seems to be staying where it's supposed to be on the dipstick and my coolant level does drop a little over a few days time. I think it may be this...

But I have no idea. :???:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That is most likely from your cam plug. Look at the motor, distributor side, in front of it you should have a black plug. It is most likely leaking.

What I would recommend is to first clean all the oil off. Then you should order an aftermarket cam plug. More o rings the better. You should also get a new valve cover gasket.

Remove your valve cover, remove the cam cap where the plug is, make sure everything is clean and dry.
Get some good rtv; hondabond, or something made in the USA. Use a generous amount around the plug and install it. Put the cam cap back on with the correct torque, I think it's like 12ft/lbs.

You'll need to make sure your valve cover mating surfaces are very clean, you'll want to rtv each corner where the cam humps are. Install the valve cover gasket on the valvecover and place it on.

When you retighten it you need to start on one end and work your way around in a circle. Dont jump around like on a head.

Last edited:

travistrouble

That's what I think it is too, the last pic up there is of that cam plug. Is it normal for them to leak? And has it or will it cause damage until I can replace it with a PWD JDM one?

travistrouble

Thanks Aussie for the write up! I really appreciate it. I'm going to get the PWDJDM cam plug, it has 2 O Rings on it. I replaced my valve cover gasket back in January so is it appropriate to replace it every time the valve cover comes off or am I good on it for now?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
its your cam plug, they tend to leak because its a single O ring, the after market ones like skunk2, blox, or pwjdm are 3 o rings.

travistrouble

Dylan you've helped out on 2 of my threads today, you get work done bro :lol: :thumbs up: But in all honesty, I really appreciate the help from you guys!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Well if you don't replace it you take a chance it may leaking however if you clean it up good it mat be ok. Either way it's not a big deal. Try to reuse it and if it leaks, replace it.