Leaky GSR distributor, New O ring...

ChrisTypeR408

So I've had an oil leak from my distributor recently and I got a O ring for it and I installed it and it stopped the leak for about a good 3-4 weeks and now it started leaking again. I took off the distributor and thought maybe i just aligned it wrong and i fixed it for another 2 days. But here I am again with a leaking distributor. I know its leaking from the bottom part (right at the bottom bolt of the distributor.) Does anyone know what I could do? :(

ChrisTypeR408

Well, today I took it apart again and this time i cleaned everything, the surface of the distributor, the o ring and everything and I put it back on and it seems to be fine now. I even drove it pretty hard a few times and it seems fine. The first times I did it I didn't clean it. Thanks for the tip!

Cripton805

Well, today I took it apart again and this time i cleaned everything, the surface of the distributor, the o ring and everything and I put it back on and it seems to be fine now. I even drove it pretty hard a few times and it seems fine. The first times I did it I didn't clean it. Thanks for the tip!
Sometimes part of the old O' ring sticks to it and creates a leak if you didn't catch it.
Same thing happens with the valve cover gasket and plenty others.

Glad to hear everything went ok. :headbang:

You have a couple main things around that area...
Vtec Solenoid Gaskets, Dizzy O' Ring, and Cam Seal.
Make sure it's the right thing.
They all can seem like they are leaking to the same spot. lmao

Last edited:

ChrisTypeR408

Okay well it's been a few days since I last took it apart, and now its starting to leak again. I'm 100% sure it's coming from the distributor because I've already replaced the cam seal plug and the vtec solenoid gasket. every time I take off the distributor i see where the oil has leaked down. Is it possible to use a thicker O ring or use gasket seal around the outside? I'm tired of having to pop the hood just to check if it's leaking again.

ChrisTypeR408

Okay well I read somewhere on Honda tech that if you put on the ring without oiling it first it could scratch the ring and even just a little scratch could allow oil to come in? And I also noticed that it leaked more frequently on cold days and I was told that the O ring might contract and allow an oil leak?

What do you guys think? Help please. :(

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
yeah some lube will be needed, id put some rtv gasket maker all over it too... that will stop the leak for sure

ChrisTypeR408

Where should I apply the gasket maker? I'm planning to go get some O rings at Honda tomorrow, might as well pick up some gasket maker too.

ChrisTypeR408

So today I put in a new O ring from Honda. The old one had all these scratches and stuff on it and it looked pretty old. I'm assuming it's from taking it off and putting it back on so many times (especially without the oil). I put new oil on the new o ring and slipped it on and I cleaned the surfaces thoroughly with Parts Cleaner spray and wiped it down and everything. I then slipped the distributor back on and it went in very smooth (because of the oil). Hopefully this will create a better seal? So far it hasn't leaked at all. I'll wait and see how it turns out, hopefully this time it'll be better! or else I'll use the gasket maker if all else fails. Thanks everybody for the suggestions and advice! :)