Lets talk about temperature sensors, senders, switches.

Taco

So I just bought a 99 GSR, it runs cold. So as far as that goes I know it needs a thermostat.

My main problem is my fans don't work, if I sit in the driveway and hold 1500rpms for a while and get it hot the fans still do not turn on (had it up to 215 degrees and still the fans didn't turn on). So I'm pretty sure its the temp switch for the fans, only problem is how can I be sure the parts store gives me the right part? It is on the thermostat housing right? It looks like the sensor on the head. Are the the same part? They are both 2 wire right?

cvcrcr99

There are 2 "temp" sensors. One for the cluster (on the head), one for the fans (on the Tstat housing).

Jump the fan switch with a paperclip, then turn your key to [II]. The fans should come on. If not, there is another problem.

Fan switch thread pitch should be M14 x1.5. You can always buy one from a place like rockauto.com on Honda/Acura, so you don't have to worry about parts counter clerks stupidity. ;)

Taco

So the fuse was blown, put a new one in and jumped the connector and the fan came on. Now I got to wait and see if the fuse blows again and go from there. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that fan is going bad and pulling too many amps.

Got the thermostat so hopefully I get some time with good weather to get that in and go from there.

cvcrcr99

So the fuse was blown, put a new one in and jumped the connector and the fan came on. Now I got to wait and see if the fuse blows again and go from there. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that fan is going bad and pulling too many amps.
That is a possibility. Disconnect the fan from the harness and you should be able to test it with a multimeter.

Taco

That is a possibility. Disconnect the fan from the harness and you should be able to test it with a multimeter.
Test what, the resistance? And what spec am I shooting for? Or if you can point me to a shop manual that would work as well