Let's talk stereo head units.

newtype

After owning my car for about a month now, I'm tired of the factory radio.

1) Which head unit are you using? Why?
2) Any problems with the antennae and your stereo (I doubt it, but just want to check)?
3) How bright is the screen? My interior is dark and I'd really like something to brighten it up at night.

I won't be getting an amp/subs/etc, so that information isn't important to me.

Thanks-

McMahon

JackTuned
Kenwood makes fantastic decks. I have a KDC-x994. Its got bluetooth, iPod adapter, AUX adapter, and it changes color.

If you want something to light up your interior, I suggest getting something that had blue illumination because blue is a bright color.

DustinXIX

sony xplod cdx-gt54uw
i currently have the sony XPLOD CDX-GT54UW and its awesome.had it for a year so far with no problems.it has a blue illumination and if your lookin for a headunit that will brighten things up this is definattely the one you want.its 54x4 watts has a usb and aux port on the front with a cd player.i have it hooked up to 4 round pioneer speakers and my two sony xplod subs in the back and the sound quality is awesome.as far as antenna goes no problem there perfect reception so far.reason i bought it in the first place was bc it had all the hookups in the front, was bright, and was only $125 new :p

newtype

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

McMahon, that Kenwood is sweet (the parrot BT would be awesome), but I'd really like to have the aux port in the front -- I assume while hooking it up, I'd have to run the aux cable out through my glove box or something?

Oh, and this may be a stupid question, but will certain head units draw more power than the car can handle on a regular basis and potentially screw with anything?

mkl399

i have a pioneer DEH-5000UB. works amazingly, has Ipod and AUX in. it is slightly outdated, my dad has the version of it they have out now and it has all that + bluetooth and it is amazing too.
The stereo has a blue backlight, decently bright (has adjustably brightness if needed)
I run my deck with an Alpine 300W 4 channel amp to run my infinity door speakers, alont with a rockfordfosgate 300W mono amp running my 2 10" rockford P1 subs. Radio sounds amazing and is extremely loud with a great range.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i forget which kenwood i have but here's mine

i didnt need anything fancy. just as long as it had a AUX for my iphone, pandora all day long.
it also has a USB plug for music on thumb drives as well (same music on my iphone) so i dont use the iphone cable that came with it.
has bluetooth capability as long as you buy the adapter for it.
ive taken out my antenna because it was broken and i dont listen to the radio anyways.

the volume and track selection knob lights up blue and slowly blinks when you use them.

91tegwitgsr

Hey I work at a car audio shop and the Kenwood KDC x994 is awesome deck for the price has alot of options and works great everybody that has bought it from us and can't complain and for the illumination your able to customize the colors on it.....so if you looking for a great unit thats it and it you can always turn up the brightness on it if you'd like also yeah you'd have to run your Aux cable through your glovebox or as I've done I ran it undereath the ashtray in my car. Hope that helps at all

BeatBox

Real Good!
heres mine, pioneer 6600 prob 5yrs old and works like a champ. ipod hook up and charges as it plays. dvd plays while it drives and radio....dont have antenna but i do have an iPhone with Pandora Radio also (Coy) FTMFW!

over all happy with it, bought it used and the face plate comes off

onl thing to watch out when yo buy a pioneer is they are common for grounding noise. usually only would be able to tell if you have a system other wise it wouldnt be a problem its something that you would hear only when using subs.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Depends, what features do you want in it? I see aux..but what about..sat radio, navigation, touch screen, single or double din? Feel free to PM me, I do audio installs on the side..if you have specific ?'s.

Mitch

newtype

Whoa, thanks for ALL of the input everyone.

Seems like there are a lot of very good units out there.

heykosal

Angkorian
Hell Yea!! i got my alpine deck with a usb and ipod cable running from that back of the deck into the glove box. love the deck since the day i got it
Yeah I had a similar set-up in my GSR; the iPod cable ran underneath the console though, and into the armrest.

I considered the glovebox, and I wouldn't have had to drill a hole, but the armrest was easier access.

nabwong

Sony CDXGT540UI + Iphone = sheer entertainment bliss. Who needs satellite radio when you have this combo?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
i have a naxa unit cause it was cheap
my antenna is broken so no
its bright

only problem is the cd player skips if i go over a hard bump so i dont listen to cds and the instruction booklet is all in spanish
this is much better than the gaping hole that was there before