Lightweight Flywheel Question

sps21112

Hey guys my question is i picked up a 12.5 lbs flywheel having it surfaced right now, do i have to buy a new clutch to go along with it? The one i have has less than 7k miles on it. And also do i have to redo the break procedure? Thanks if this has already been covered.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
You need to take it easy for a little, just take about a 20 min drive that involves a lot of stop and go so you get a bunch of shifts in. After that you'll be fine.

deeceetwofreak

Ahh gotcha, the clutch break in period depends on the company that makes it. Like Exedy for example; their website says for 500 miles in city, or 1000 highway.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
A couple days of city driving will break them all in without any problems.

I think the paperwork reccomends a 750 mile break in period though, but fuck that.

Last edited:

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I drove a stage 1 clutch, replacement transmission, and 7 lbs flywheel for 3 days before I raced at buttonwillow. Plenty of races later, no issues

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
We can take them straight from production and put them in the performance tester and they are fine so I don't think it matters a whole lot. As long as its seated properly it will be fine.

biya

If you lightly rough up the surfAce or the flywheel with scotch brite in a small circle pattern it will give you a better bedding. but that's only if you get your flywheel back and its totally smooth.