Looking for a solution - GSR headers on LS

ben.s

SOLVED : Looking for a solution - GSR headers on LS

I've looked around and have read several posts however I have a couple questions based on the topics I've read about.

I accidentally bought GSR headers (not 00-01) because I was looking for the 4-1. I didn't realize there were fitment issues until AFTER the order was placed/shipped. The dilemma is I do not feel like returning them especially since the awkward shape (the box arrived damaged HERE let alone what I could do to ship them back). So..

* Can I just buy a GSR catback for my 98 LS and it should be okay, correct?
* or should I bite the bullet and return them for possibly 00-01 GSR headers.

I wanted the 4-1 but my headers are currently cracked and need to find a solution.

Last edited:

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Just return them. A small hassle returning them is better than all the work time and money needed to make them some what fit.

ben.s

Just return them. A small hassle returning them is better than all the work time and money needed to make them some what fit.
No offense and not trying to be a d#&* but, that didn't answer my question.

If I buy a GSR exhaust will it fit with the headers? I was looking for a new exhaust so doesn't make too much of a difference to just buy a GSR exhaust over the LS.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Vtec heads flow higher than non vtec heads. Therefore their ports are different.

But

94-99 gsr header and exhaust are interchangable.
00-01 gsr / 97-01 type r / 94-01 non-vtec header and exhaust are interchangeable

So if your LS can only bolt on headers off of a gsr type that's 00-01.

Catbacks are all the same. The only difference is piping diameter, 2dr and 4dr exhaust systems.

If it's a 4dr the 2dr catback is too short, but can be modded to fit. Eg/db exhaust are the exact same.

Last edited:

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Loled.

Actually all b series header can be interchanged.

Oem wise, the 94-99 gsr header "a" pipe is shorter than all the rest, that's why they will not fit to the rest of the exhaust. All exhaust ports are the same. B16 header are not as tall as b18 header so there might be clearance issues.

Buy a matching aftermarket exhaust all the way around and your golden.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
00-01 gsr / 97-01 type r / 94-01 non-vtec header and exhaust are interchangeable
Exactly! A 00-01 GSR header should fit fine on an LS.

Catbacks are all the same. The only difference is piping diameter, 2dr and 4dr exhaust systems.
Not exactly. The 94-99 GSR catbacks are different lengths as well to accomodate the shorter header.

ben.s

So I was looking at exhausts.. Does the GSR have am extra bend? I'm wondering whether or not I'm going to run into problems.

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
Exactly! A 00-01 GSR header should fit fine on an LS.

Not exactly. The 94-99 GSR catbacks are different lengths as well to accomodate the shorter header.
They do it. I have gsr rsr header and gsr rsr exmag on my car. Now I did have to get about 2" extra tubing from header my ls cat. But it all fits. But that all depends on what cat your using and size of it.