looking for stock GS-R exhaust parts

cizkaro

Honda/Acura newbie
I am looking for a stock exhaust manifold down pipe and cat for my GSR. The current exhaust is obx catback and manifold it sounds crappy and raspy and is screwing up my intake velocity therefore raping my mpg down to 19 highway. Anybody know a good source i could possibly get these cheaply? bad mpg on premium is killing my pocket book as my cars a DD. Also Ive had people tell me my car sounds sick ie too raspy. I think its really just a lack of a resonator and the catback. (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3000785/teggy/2013-09-23 19.28.39.mp4) I know the audio quality is bad but it sounds normal to me!

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
And just how is exhaust messing with your intake velocity resulting in poor mpg? Best places to get oem parts are your local craigslist or the like, junkyards and forums that may have locals in your area. Anywhere else will be new which wont be cheap or cost you shipping. For those pieces, unless its basically free, i cant see shipping being worthwhile. Your setup likely has oem sized diameters so i have a little doubt theyre the reason for your loss in mpg.

cizkaro

Honda/Acura newbie
Based off my limited knowledge of intenral combustion its what I thought could be an issue. IM not a mechanic im a server systems administrator :/ i just know I need this 14-19 mpg crap to go away. It murders my finances.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I dont think the exhaust sounds bad at all and if you drive like that all the time that could be why you're getting shitty mileage; you're in vtec which is a higher cam lobe profile which results in more fuel being released into the cylinder. if you wanna save gas try to cruise around under 4.5k rpm. revving to the limit will only suck that gas more and more. also try to do research, throwing money at it wont solve the problem. try to rule out as much as possible, you said your dad was/is a mechanic then check stuff out with him or do it yourself and run it by him and see what he thinks. I know its frustrating and I currently am having some problems with my gas mileage as well as a few other problems but solving them most effectively is the only way to assure you send as little money as necessary. Just be patient and methodically check everything that could have any relation to mpg and rule it out and youll eventually find the problem and youll know how much it will cost and hopefully how to get it done

Murphy

Meat Master
Jesus 19 highway, yeah there's no way it's the exhaust it wouldn't make sense. Check your codes, air/fuel filter, plugs/ignition, oil, tranny fluid, tires/alignment. Bring in the shop if all that fails, they should at least be able to find the problem with an inspection.

Murphy

Meat Master
No need to use premium, it's a waste. I've put regular in mine for nearly 7 years and it runs perfectly at 170k.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
No need to use premium, it's a waste. I've put regular in mine for nearly 7 years and it runs perfectly at 170k.
Idk what trim your car is but ive put 87 in my gsr and it runs noticeably different with a severe lack in power and stuttering. the engine has less than 40k on it. I only use atleast 91. Dont f*** with the gas; if it says use premium, use premium. The engineers designed it to work a certain way with certain fuel, use it that way. Tegs usually get good gas mileage even with the added cost of premium. its worth it in comparison to other cars with all their upgraded electronics to help with fuel managment that still cannot match up when clearly there were cars that got 30, 40+ mpg decades ago,

Last edited:

Murphy

Meat Master
Idk what trim your car is but ive put 87 in my gsr and it runs noticeably different with a severe lack in power and stuttering. the engine has less than 40k on it. I only use atleast 91. Dont f*** with the gas; if it says use premium, use premium. The engineers designed it to work a certain way with certain fuel, use it that way. Tegs usually get good gas mileage even with the added cost of premium. its worth it in comparison to other cars with all their upgraded electronics to help with fuel managment that still cannot match up when clearly there were cars that got 30, 40+ mpg decades ago,
GS, all trim levels recommend premium, but as long as you're ok with the slight decrease in power you don't need the extra octane. My chemistry professors and all the mechanics I've used informed me that very rarely do cars actually require premium fuel, only ultra high performance cars.

If you're just looking for the extra power try buying octane itself. I bought octane for a while at the dollar store, definitely noticed a power increase more so than premium.

cizkaro

Honda/Acura newbie
I can't run anything but premium or the car is weak it stutters hesitates and backfires high compression equals high octane and the gsr is 10:1

cborden

Jesus is THE way
GS, all trim levels recommend premium, but as long as you're ok with the slight decrease in power you don't need the extra octane. My chemistry professors and all the mechanics I've used informed me that very rarely do cars actually require premium fuel, only ultra high performance cars.

If you're just looking for the extra power try buying octane itself. I bought octane for a while at the dollar store, definitely noticed a power increase more so than premium.
I didnt know all trim levels required it but I do know for sure from personal experience that it does not run right when I use anything below 91. it feels like its running out of gas like its running on fumes; very inconsistent power band, its very annoying and i wouldnt put lower grade fuel in my car regardless of what anyone said because like I said ive done it and it dont work out atleast not for the gsr

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I'm gonna contest that based on my knowledge and experience. "Recommended" may be possible but "Premium only" is on vtec models. Thats not a recommendation. Also this topic has been discussed before and I'll say this again. The first thing clowns argue is the economics of running premium gas. Sure, you can get away with it. They dont ever talk about the important part which has nothing to do with gas mileage or cost. Its the chance of knock and potential damage it could lead to based on the engine specifications and fuel required. This is what the master engineers take into account when they design the motors. People who teach chemistry and mechanics are NOT master engineers.

Ill throw this out there too. Of course you dont feel the difference in your cars... its not just in your head. You drive a weak ass non vtec.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
im surprised you don't have a check engine light on - I would think the bad MPG has to do with ignition/fuel or could be faulty O2 sensors.

Quick question...have you replaced (or know when) the cap, rotor, fuel filter, spark plugs?

If you really want an oem header that is still pretty decent - you can get an ITR header, if you want to spend less get the 96-97 ITR one which has a cast iron top and is an improvement over the stock GSR

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I'm gonna contest that based on my knowledge and experience. "Recommended" may be possible but "Premium only" is on vtec models. Thats not a recommendation. Also this topic has been discussed before and I'll say this again. The first thing clowns argue is the economics of running premium gas. Sure, you can get away with it. They dont ever talk about the important part which has nothing to do with gas mileage or cost. Its the chance of knock and potential damage it could lead to based on the engine specifications and fuel required. This is what the master engineers take into account when they design the motors. People who teach chemistry and mechanics are NOT master engineers.

Ill throw this out there too. Of course you dont feel the difference in your cars... its not just in your head. You drive a weak ass non vtec.
That was my whole point, engineers designed these cars to use premium gas for a reason, idc if it costs more, itll cost more when your bottom end needs to be rebuilt too. People just dont think. they dont take into account how a vehicle was designed to be used and really have no clue that theyre fucking up their property but they dont care theyll just sell it or junk it when theyve used it up

Murphy

Meat Master
I can't run anything but premium or the car is weak it stutters hesitates and backfires high compression equals high octane and the gsr is 10:1
10:1 isn't a high compression ratio among modern cars, in fact it is pretty much the standard among cars for optimal power and mpg combination.

Here's an excerpt from wiki, "It is possible to manufacture gasoline engines with compression ratios of over 11:1 that can use 87 (MON + RON)/2 (octane rating) fuel with the addition of variable valve timing and knock sensors to delay ignition timing."..."The CR can be as high as 13:1 in engines with a 'ping' or 'knock' sensor and an electronic control unit."

Your GSR obviously has VTEC, knock sensors, and an ecu and doesn't even run at 11:1, it's perfectly fine to run regular.

Car companies will often label their cars for "Premium use only" so they can advertise higher hp. Like I've said, my Organic Chemistry professors and all the mechanics I've asked said it's perfectly fine, premium fuel is just marketing. I've put 100k miles on my car with 87 octane and it runs perfectly.

If you still prefer to run on 91+ octane just buy octane from the dollar store or in bulk and mix with 87 regular rather than getting ripped off at the pump.