Looking to get an HDTV. What you got?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I've been thinking of getting myself my first widescreen HDTV.
-I think 42 inch is good for me.
-I'm leaning towards a plasma over an LCD because I really hate how an LCD picture looks like crap unless your sitting directly in front of the thing. Plus LCD's blur when things move fast across the screen.
-Gotta be 1080p.
-Want to spend less than a thousand.

So what do you guys have? What's good/bad about it?

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
well... i can tell you LCD looks fine from MOST angles other than the most extreme... that all has to do with how the color/contrast/etc... is set up. you cant go wrong with sony/LG/panasonic/mitsu i personally... would look for an LG imo they are the best these days with TV's. my personal choice if i could would be getting an LED tv, its the newest tech for tv's and its the future. it seems to just look even crisper than plasma or lcd.

order of quality imo: LED>LCD>plasma

however which everone you go with you really cant do wrong with... to the naked eye 1080p is really no different from 1080i. but your smart to get the best you can. as far as life... its crazy how long these tv's last these days. even plasma's now have a life span well into 50000 hours for the cheapest ones from what i have seen. and hearing of getting 80-100000 viewing hours out of them isnt unheard of either. depending on how long you watch per day that can be more than 30 years... now as far as your budget... you may have to go above it to get what you want... but not by too much. if i were you i would wait untill best buy/fry's/hh greg are having one of their TV sales. there are good deals to be had. you just have to be patient.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
But LED TV's aern't a whole new screen technology, it's just a different version of LCD TV's where LED's are lighting the screen instead of a series of flourescent tubes. The LED style is suppose to help make better contrast between colors and make blacks blacker, which is a primary downfall of the LCD style screen. But even LED style LCD TV's still can't compare to plasma when it comes to contrast, especially between bright whites and deep blacks, and they still blur - plasma's have no blurring whatsoever.

Plasma's major problem is the picture is darker overall than LCD's and aern't good for use in bright rooms. Not only is the picture darker but the screen itself is shinier and more prone to glare than LCD screens. Plus they are heavier and use more electricity, but I'm least concerned with those issues - I just want a killer picture! And plasma screen look great from any angle.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I bought a 37" Vizio off a friend for $300, it's only 1080p but still looks good. I needed it for the 360 at the time, I've been watching blu-rays on it and they look good. Will be upgrading it at some point.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I just bought myself a 46" Sony Bravia XBR-Series 1080p 240hz TV for Christmas. I love it, but they are freaking expensive.

If you go with a LCD, make sure you atleast get a 120hz refresh rate. That will help with motion blur.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
Kyle how much did you get your tv for? Ive been fighting the urge to buy one in fear of a newer and superior model that might come out

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Kyle how much did you get your tv for? Ive been fighting the urge to buy one in fear of a newer and superior model that might come out
Well I paid $1,700 for the TV, Sony 5.1 Surround and Sony Blu-Ray player on sale as a package the day before Christmas. I think Sony's MSRP on the TV alone is like $2400, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper now that the 2010 models are about to be hitting shelves

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
i dont think ill get anything too crazy. im sharing rooms with my older brother -__- ' so my intentions now are different considering i dont have enough room.

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
But LED TV's aern't a whole new screen technology, it's just a different version of LCD TV's where LED's are lighting the screen instead of a series of flourescent tubes. The LED style is suppose to help make better contrast between colors and make blacks blacker, which is a primary downfall of the LCD style screen. But even LED style LCD TV's still can't compare to plasma when it comes to contrast, especially between bright whites and deep blacks, and they still blur - plasma's have no blurring whatsoever.

Plasma's major problem is the picture is darker overall than LCD's and aern't good for use in bright rooms. Not only is the picture darker but the screen itself is shinier and more prone to glare than LCD screens. Plus they are heavier and use more electricity, but I'm least concerned with those issues - I just want a killer picture! And plasma screen look great from any angle.
the 2 systems are totally different lol... one is a liquid crystal displae and one uses thousands of small light emiting diodes... lcd is actually closer to plasma than it is led

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
LED TV's use a Liquid Crystal Display, it's an LCD screen. But instead of the backlight being flourescent light tubes, it's LED's instead. It's newer technology than the traditional LCD TV design, but it's still an LCD TV.

Click. Scroll down halfway, down to the heading LCD TV Technology.

I have read about that refresh rate improvement, dc2GS-R. I see you got the best refresh rate there is, the 240HZ. How's that help with the blurring? What's your opinion?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I have read about that refresh rate improvement, dc2GS-R. I see you got the best refresh rate there is, the 240HZ. How's that help with the blurring? What's your opinion?
The quicker refresh rate definitely helps with the motion blur. That is why I splurged for the 120hz over the 60hz when I bought my first LCD TV. I was just going to buy another 120hz because I didn't feel the need to spend all the additional money to jump into a 240hz but it was on sale for a great price.

If you don't want to spend a ton, I would personally recommend a 120hz refresh (if you're planning on going LCD). The 240hz is better, but the difference from 120hz to 240hz isn't as drastic as the 60hz vs 120hz, although it is noticeable. I feel a 1080p 120hz LCD TV still gives a good picture and saves you about $1,000 over a 1080p 240hz LCD.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I got a deal before Christmas at Best Buy on a 46" Samsung 60hz 1080p only $650. I use it for FIOS, DVD's and Xbox 360 and have 0 complaints.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV. I got it 2 years ago when LCD HDTVs were expensive. It's 1080p, but only 60Hz. I'm currently saving up for a an LCD HDTV for my bedroom. I want a Sony 32"/1080p/120Hz/LCD HDTV. Make sure to get a Blu-Ray player/PS3 and HDMI and you're set. :thumbs up

JDMsneakerz

dont believe the hype
i bought my 42' Samsung Plasma 1080p 3yrs ago for 1200 and its been working top-notch! only problem with plasma if u leave it on a still image for awhile it leaves burns marks and take a little while to go awhile (like when u play games) but i love the clear crisp view from it! expecially off HDMI

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I got myself a bomb ass Blue Ray player a couple months ago. BLAM
But I got it for $580 shipped because it was an open box, it had a fingerprint on the display I had to wipe off but other than that it's mint condition, heh. Bought it with my fantasy football winnings! Now the same store is selling brand new unopened ones for the same price. :roll: