loud ticking noise after head gasket replacement!

WDEDMON1

Did a head job on my 1991 this weekend. When I started it up there was a severely loud ticking noise coming from the intake cam. Do you guys think I have a bent valve? When I took it to the shop, they said the valves were good. Car idling at 900 Rpms. I'm bout to take the valve cover off and make sure the timing is right. Any body else experience this after a timing belt job?

SleeprLegend

Did a head job on my 1991 this weekend. When I started it up there was a severely loud ticking noise coming from the intake cam. Do you guys think I have a bent valve? When I took it to the shop, they said the valves were good. Car idling at 900 Rpms. I'm bout to take the valve cover off and make sure the timing is right. Any body else experience this after a timing belt job?
What shop do you use?

teggyboi59

95teggy
Probably jst need to adjust valves that's wat it sounds like ...

WDEDMON1

edit: I took the head to apm(automotive precision machinery) to have it cleaned and resurfaced. I put it on myself

Jabes

did you check the mark on the timing cover near the crank pulley and line up the cam gears at tdc when before you put the timing belt back on?

SleeprLegend

edit: I took the head to apm(automotive precision machinery) to have it cleaned and resurfaced. I put it on myself
Gotcha. I have to agree with the others on checking the valves, but something tells me a locknut might not be tight enough.

ebunny

make sure all the valves are adjusted properly. you can find what they are supposed to be ny searching online. When we did ours about 6 months ago we had the same problem. As stated by others also check the timing. We had a terrible ticking and alot of shaking. Problem fixed when adjusted correctly.

WDEDMON1

No Vtec. It's standard b18a1. I took the valve cover off and the cams were still in line but the mark on the crank pulley was off. It was on the last line of the three marks for ignition timing. Here's the weird thing: when I line the crank pulley up and the cams as well, it seems the belt is off like half a tooth. It's either I shift the cams to the left or the right to get the belt on. But then my timing is off right? As I mentioned, the head was resurfaced. Could it be that the head is shorter so the timing belt is too big?