Loud vibrations increase with speed

kdanc341

Hi guys,

Newbie on the forum here, just bought a '93 Integra gs with some pretty significant noise issues. There is two different sources of noise that seem to culminate in the cabin.

The first source of noise is coming from a rusted out spot in the exhaust pipe that feeds into the muffler. This is an easy enough repair. But it is the second source that has befuddled me.

The car vibrates very loud when my speed increases. I suspect that it is the CV axle, because the noise decreases when i turn to the right. Which to me suggests that the muffler is not the source.

Just wondering if you guys have any input on the issue. Previously i had a car with the same issue, it make a vibration noise that increased with speed and cease when the car was in a turn.

I guess really i am looking for confirmation in my diagnosis, but if maybe you have a better idea give me shout.

Thanks in advance

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
well first off welcome, second.. the DA9, DB1 & DB2 integras all are horrible about noise transfer... trying to diagnose most odd noises can be a real PITA..

That said, based on what you describe it sounds like you may have something with the drivetrain, common sources being...

Mis matched or unevenly worn tires, off balance wheels ( I would suspect this more than anything)

off balance Axle ( not as likely )

bad Wheel bearing ( possibly)

Also check all your bushings... and inspect for any damage to the subframe ( other than they typical scraped at the from adjustments for the radius rods)

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
my guesses would be the unbalanced wheels or axles. im leaning towards the axles since you said it happens under acceleration.

as for the muffler, try removing ALL the heat shields. i had a rattle and just ditched all of em. no more annoying noises. only bad side effect, my metal shift knob gets a tiny bit warm. thats about it. it wont burn you or anything if thats what youre wondering.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

kdanc341

Just finished balancing the tires, the noise is still there/ I have as of now welded a piece over top of the holes in the muffler and it is quieter. But as i suspected the noise persists at higher speeds and subsides in turns. I am going to move on to replacing the wheel hub assembly on the left side as the sound disappears when i turn towards the right. Will update you soon, i have read some forums and it looks like removing and replacing hub assemblies can be trouble some so i will update soon.

If the noise goes away when you turn right replace the right bearing. Bad bearing roar will seem to dissipate when the weight of the car is transferred away from it. If you're not getting the roar when you turn right, the weight is being "rocked" to the left and taken off the bad right bearing.