Low Compression Results Should I Still Go Turbo ?

Havok114

did a compression test on my LS reults were 135 all across and wet was 150 alll across seems really low to me the car has 140k miles
my question is should i still go turbo ? will it hold a 57 trim on 10psi ?

Prozon

Kris
Money, your comment makes absolutely no sense, at all. Please refrain from posting idiotic things. My next engine build will be 10:1 compression boosted, and I can assure you- it will not go bang.

Your compression should be about 180psi on a healthy motor. 135psi is the minimum. No more then a 30psi variation across the board. A rebuild would probably be a good idea. How much power do you want to make? Generally just throwing out PSI isn't a good way to go about things.

Str8Boostin

Sleeper
+1 to what Prozon said.

10psi on a tiny TD04 15g wheel'd turbo is nothing compared to let's say 10psi on a GT35 lol

I say you rebuild your motor for stronger internals/lower compression so you'll be ready for boost when the time comes.

Havok114

Money, your comment makes absolutely no sense, at all. Please refrain from posting idiotic things. My next engine build will be 10:1 compression boosted, and I can assure you- it will not go bang.

Your compression should be about 180psi on a healthy motor. 135psi is the minimum. No more then a 30psi variation across the board. A rebuild would probably be a good idea. How much power do you want to make? Generally just throwing out PSI isn't a good way to go about things.
Ill be happy with 230hp , my cars already been through nitrous but it was only like 4 bottles , 2 on 50 shot and 2 on a 75 shot

Prozon

Kris
A simply stock rebuild should handle 230hp. However- I suggest you go with some forged internals. You will love boost, and you will crave more.. :thumbs up

Str8boostin-
That's true. I think people get confused because they think saying something like "10psi" is a simple number, "pounds per square inch." Think of it this way, 10psi in a bike tire is a lot less air then 10psi in a car tire. The area you're dealing with is different. Same goes for a turbo, the bigger the turbo, the more air volume. Hence different power with different size turbo's at the same "PSI." There's simply more or less "square inches" involved.

(And no, that wasn't directed towards you Str8boostin, I just figured I would explain it a little for whomever might read. Lol. )

Havok, I suggest either a stock rebuild or a mild build on the bottom end.

Last edited:

Havok114

+1 to what Prozon said.

10psi on a tiny TD04 15g wheel'd turbo is nothing compared to let's say 10psi on a GT35 lol

I say you rebuild your motor for stronger internals/lower compression so you'll be ready for boost when the time comes.
thats why i said what size turbo it was ?

Havok114

A simply stock rebuild should handle 230hp. However- I suggest you go with some forged internals. You will love boost, and you will crave more.. :thumbs up

Str8boostin-
That's true. I think people get confused because they think saying something like "10psi" is a simple number, "pounds per square inch." Think of it this way, 10psi in a bike tire is a lot less air then 10psi in a car tire. The area you're dealing with is different. Same goes for a turbo, the bigger the turbo, the more air volume. Hence different power with different size turbo's at the same "PSI." There's simply more or less "square inches" involved.

(And no, that wasn't directed towards you Str8boostin, I just figured I would explain it a little for whomever might read. Lol. )

Havok, I suggest either a stock rebuild or a mild build on the bottom end.
damn so you guys dont think i can get away with it as is i think im just going to buy a b20b or buy some coilovers or something i dont feel like dealing with a rebuild :(

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Its better to have your results than having 1 cylinder extremely low. you could probably have a mild turbo build be safe on it for a little bit, but dont expect too much I suppose.

Havok114

Its better to have your results than having 1 cylinder extremely low. you could probably have a mild turbo build be safe on it for a little bit, but dont expect too much I suppose.
Well its a DD I don't want to boost it then have it take a shit on me in 2 months :/

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Well techincally your resutls are in normal range. I would say shoot for a good 200-220whp or so and I dont see why you couldnt pull that off.

Obviously treat the car well, maintain it well, and you shouldnt have any problems. Get a good tune just as Jvest said, research your area tuners.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
this
when the results are the same for all cylinders that just means the motor has a lot of miles, if its just one cylinder then something went wrong. you could just replace the piston rings and have the head checked out and have it good to go and like new.

Havok114

The car was pretty warm when it said 130 , I just ran my car came home started doing a compression test first one came out to 180 :D then I got the part of the compression tester stuck in my motor lol fuck , as for a tuner I already found one 250-300$ full dyno tune on crome orderd my p05 ecu today since I'm obd2