low psi without tune?

DustinXIX

okay, so basically, just as the title states, how much boost can a b18a1 engine handle *without* a tune? im looking for what psi on what size turbo. this is just out of curiousity more than anything. thanks guys

ohhhh also, whats everyones name on here? mines Dustin :p

DustinXIX

hmmmok thats what i figured.i did compression and leakmdown test and results were good.already did a good amount of research on this basically wanted to know if it would be safe to drive around without a tune untill i could find a shop and get it done.

Prozon

Kris
No, you shouldn't run any PSI without a tune. You can get your ECU chipped with a basemap, but that's not enough to drive it on. Expect to pay a shop $400+ for a full dyno tune, depends where you are but you shouldn't have trouble finding a place to do it.

Oh and my name is Kris.

DustinXIX

okay thanks kris, that was the answer i was looking for. so it is possible to tune it on your own with the s300? is this something thats complicated or something that just takes time to figure out..? what damage would driving it untuned cause though? and thanks, really appreciate the input guys

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you could blow your motor, you could shorten the life of the build. I wouldnt tune a car unless i knew what i was doing as you could blow the motor. I wont street tune a car even though i have used the s300 because the A/F mixtures are quite complicated and vital to the tune.

DustinXIX

you could blow your motor, you could shorten the life of the build. I wouldnt tune a car unless i knew what i was doing as you could blow the motor. I wont street tune a car even though i have used the s300 because the A/F mixtures are quite complicated and vital to the tune.
thanks thats definately some good info to know :thumbs up ive been trying to find a shop in my area for a loooong time and i cant find one relatively close. and now that i know with out a tune it would more than likely blow then i guess i gotta wait even longer :p

Torreto

Bird, is the word
quoted for the truth, its not worth it to save a couple hundred bucks. the tune is the most important part in any turbo build. take the time to do it right the first time

Torreto

Bird, is the word
and you don't have to take it to a shop. there's probably a local og honda guy in your area that could do it, just ask around