Lowering, how to

YOYOYO

lowering

can someone post something about lowering your car like the steps, tools, parts, and different options on how to lower it?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
first... you need the lowering springs or coilovers.... and/or after market shocks/struts

once you have the stuff ready to be installed.

you'll need a 10mm and possibly a 14mm or 12mm forgot. and depending on what you're installing you might need a spring compressor.

~put your on 1 gear or P... pull up the e brake.
~lossen the lug nuts on your wheels
~jack up the car
~remove wheels
~unbolt the braket for your brake lines
~remove the complete shock/strut by loosening the 14mm bolt at the bottom, there's gonna be nut on the other side so you'll need a wrench to hold it in place while you unbolt it. there's also 3 10mm bolts on the top so unbolts those also. DO NOT UNBOLT THE MIDDLE ONE. after a little pushing a pulling the shock assembly should come off
~from here... it depends if you're using springs or coilovers, and if you're gonna be using aftermarket shocks or not.
if you still have stock springs... then you'll need to barrow a spring compressor from your local auto store [ kragen or autozone or watever ] in order to remove the springs without them springing out and hurting someone or something.
~install spring compressors on the spring and unbolt the middle bolt on the top hat slowly... and remove the spring.
~make sure you have the correct position springs on... and repeat the steps backwards

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
also dont forget to reuse the dust guards or cut 1/3 of the bumper stop. i might be forgetting something so iono... this job is pretty straight foward... nothing too tricky... having a couple buddies over to help you is great too... a whole lot faster. and you can do this with your own hands... a air compressor is not needed but it'll make the job a whole lot faster and easier. good luck and post us pics of the install :thumbs up

Messiah62

whats the easiest springs or coil overs, whats the cheapest. I think springs just slip over the current ones and that all and coil overs replace the shock and the spring... im probably wrontg

99jdmgsr

it actually doesent matter what u put in coilovers are cheaper and yea if spring u just have to take of the old one and put in the new spring... same with coilovers

Dont forget to have your car resting on proper jack stands and not on the jack. Be sure to lube up the rear lca bolt that the strut mounts to about a week in advance and spray lube on it every day. This is the famous bolt that alot of people break ( including myself) and If you dont have a replacement bolt or in my case a bolt and new bushing, you will me left with a car that you cant drive untill it is repaired. You should also lube the center strut nut on the top side as well. Mine wouldnt come lose and I stripped the allen head slot and had to cut the strut shaft to remove what I needed. If you close to sothern iowa and need help, hit me up I just lowered my teg last week and have extra bolts and all the tools.

wite2nr

wd40 works. or silicon spray. also, if you dont have access to a spring compress, i just layed the shock on the ground with the bottom against a solid object that wouldnt move, covered with a towel, pointed in a safe direction, and used air tool (14mm for the top) and undid it that way. it 'popped' but nothing flew anywhere, all contained in the towel. a safer way i've done it (w/o spring compress) is to use those adjustable nylon straps that 18wheeler drivers use to hold down their load. those work well if you can get them in the spaces between the stock spring. also, you shouldn't need to use the spring compress to put it back together, only taking stock shocks apart. i didnt see it in DB8's post but you will also need the allen key to tighten the top nut.

99DOM639

so when i lower my car this wknd all im guna need is sum after market shocks and coilovers? what all do i need to buy to do this?

GSR_Integra00

it actually doesent matter what u put in coilovers are cheaper and yea if spring u just have to take of the old one and put in the new spring... same with coilovers
Coilovers are not cheap. Lowering Springs are pretty cheap. You can get them anywhere from 120$-300$ but the ride is not as good and you can't adjust them. Coilovers are more expensive 600$-1500$ and are usually fully adjustable. I got the tokico blue setup that the site offers for 425$. It lowers the 1.5 inches and it includes shocks and springs,making the ride quality great. It's also the best deal that I've ever seen on a shock/spring combo. As for the install,I guess I'll find out this weekend :oops:. Hope this helps.

Austin

Detman101

Da9 newbie
I will be doing this as well.
I have the eibach springs for all 4 shocks and the front Tokico Blues.
Saving up for the rear Tokico Blues and jack stands then I'm gonna install all four myself.
hopefully.

=]
Dm

Rayda9

lowered my teggy a month ago today, simple KYB GR-2's and tein S-Techs dropping 2 inches front and rear.. near stock ride quality but deff better handling with little camber affect. Cost me $320 for it all.