Lowering springs, need shocks too?

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
I'm new to the import scene, but not cars in general. If I buy just lowering springs will that suffice or will I need to get aftermarket shocks and cambers to? The factory suspension in my teg is still good, I just want to lower it.

ryanDC

you will need new struts or your stock ones will blow and camber kits aren't necessary

pepsihatman

you will need new struts or your stock ones will blow and camber kits aren't necessary
Can you elaborate more on the lack of a need for a camber kit? I am currently looking at the Tokico illuminas for stock DC2 suspension replacement (link below). I was worried about tire wear with the 1.5 inch drop. I would get the car aligned after installing the kit. Can the factory suspension compensate appropriately for the lowering (1.5 inches I believe)? No camber or toe issues?

Also, any stickies on the subject? I think that both convert_Con - OP and I would benefit. I'll read, but I couldn't find what I needed to know via search.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokico-ILK202-Handling-Susp-Kits/dp/B000NU4KQW/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Integra|742&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Acura|58&Year=1998|1998&newCar=1&carId=002

Edit - Just noticed date. Resurrection! Anyone want to answer?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Can you elaborate more on the lack of a need for a camber kit? I am currently looking at the Tokico illuminas for stock DC2 suspension replacement (link below). I was worried about tire wear with the 1.5 inch drop. I would get the car aligned after installing the kit. Can the factory suspension compensate appropriately for the lowering (1.5 inches I believe)? No camber or toe issues?

Also, any stickies on the subject? I think that both convert_Con - OP and I would benefit. I'll read, but I couldn't find what I needed to know via search.

http://www.amazon.com/Tokico-ILK202-Handling-Susp-Kits/dp/B000NU4KQW/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Integra|742&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Acura|58&Year=1998|1998&newCar=1&carId=002

Edit - Just noticed date. Resurrection! Anyone want to answer?
Camber typically doesnt wear your tires as much as toe will. When you get your car aligned, you want to dial in your toe back to factory specs. Our cars typically like a little more camber when we want to race them. But, how ever lowering them will unevenly change the camber but this is typically when you lower it a shit ton. You should be fine if you rotate your tires regularly and reset your toe to spec.

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
Camber typically doesnt wear your tires as much as toe will. When you get your car aligned, you want to dial in your toe back to factory specs. Our cars typically like a little more camber when we want to race them. But, how ever lowering them will unevenly change the camber but this is typically when you lower it a shit ton. You should be fine if you rotate your tires regularly and reset your toe to spec.
ninja'd :thumbs up

pepsihatman

Thanks for replying. I daily drive my car and commute to work. In the long run, will the lowering, even with an alignment afterward, reduce the life of the tires significantly? I understand they may wear a tad faster, but are we talking a reduction of 50k miles or something? Thanks.

Also, any opinions on the shock/spring set that I linked? Daily driving taken into account?

Edit - I know that exact numbers are probably impossible, but I am just trying to get a feeling for the type of change it will make to the car. And yes, I routinely rotate my tires every 6k miles with every other oil change.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
ive had my tires for about 14 months now and they are Falken Azenis RT 615. They are actually wearing as much as they should be. It shouldnt really take life off of your tires as long as you rotate them.

pepsihatman

Affirmative. Thank you for the advice friends. I'll probably be purchasing the kit in the next week and installing it soon after. I haven't done any suspension mods on the GSR, so I'll probably go crazy taking pictures hah. Hopefully the drop won't look too bad with the stock 15'' GSR blades.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
If i'm correct, anything lower than 2 inches will require extra work, such as cambers and fender rolling even with smaller rims?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Rolling your fenders is on a case to case basis, its dependent on alot of things ie, tires wheel width etc.

pepsihatman

I'm not worried too much about rolling the fender with stock 15 inch, 205/50 tires and a 1.25 inch drop. Hopefully, I'm not being arrogant in assuming that much.

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
I'm not worried too much about rolling the fender with stock 15 inch, 205/50 tires and a 1.25 inch drop. Hopefully, I'm not being arrogant in assuming that much.
I'm feeling the same way to haha. Except i am going with the 2 inch drop, and eventually it's gonna be slammed.