LS all motor build plan

mattrt09

Well guys i thought i would post up my plan for my motor and let everyone tell me some opinions.

ok.....im 17 (18in a week) and i will be graduating HS soon so i dont have much money to be putting into my car because colledge is less than a year away. so heres my plan.

ive ben savin some money here and there to combine with whatever money i get for my b-day which will be used to buy skunk 2 cat-back and intake manifold.
and then heres when my motor plan really comes into effect.
since i have colledge coming up i dont want to sell my car anytime soon for anything new because mines paid off. i dont wanna sell it for something cheaper because i dont want to run the risk of having to put alot of money into it to get it in good shape. So since my motor has 253k on it, i plan on buying a younger maybe 80-100k ls motor only and just rebuilding the head, cams, valve springs, valves, and retainers. then just dropping that motor on my tranny and be done with it. a face lift :)

im hopin i can get all this done for under 3k.

what you guys think?

steelies_ftw

so you just want to have an LS motor with a built head? for under 3k thats easy, for 3k you could have a boosted LS

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Don't waste your money on the Skunk2 IM! It'll gut your low end and midrange TQ for small HP gains way up in the RPM range on a B18B with just bolt-on's and you'll be slower overall. Even on an LS engine with a light build like you have planned, it doesn't help you make power, the OEM IM flows well enough to support a mild/moderate level LS NA build. And if your gonna do cams you'll wanna get some high compression pistons if you want to even come close to getting the HP gains Skunk says they give.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Yeah, don't bother getting the Skunk2 IM.

mattrt09

so you just want to have an LS motor with a built head? for under 3k thats easy, for 3k you could have a boosted LS
bosst on a motor with 253k....little risk imo

Don't waste your money on the Skunk2 IM! It'll gut your low end and midrange TQ for small HP gains way up in the RPM range on a B18B with just bolt-on's and you'll be slower overall. Even on an LS engine with a light build like you have planned, it doesn't help you make power, the OEM IM flows well enough to support a mild/moderate level LS NA build. And if your gonna do cams you'll wanna get some high compression pistons if you want to even come close to getting the HP gains Skunk says they give.
really.....i did not know that. thanks alot.

i will keep that in mind

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Sounds like a great plan, I agree tho go boost. Hey I have a perfect LS motor for sale for cheap, no maintenance needed.

mattrt09

you guys know any other engines i can drop in on an auto tranny.

it seems to me that an LS would be the best bang for the buck