LS Engine Questions/Build Up

00CivicGirl

Ok I did some searches and this is what I would liek to know. we have a b18a ls motor in the car now and we have gotten a spare b18b head. we plan to have that p&p in the next few weeks and add some crower cams..we may wait to put it on until we have EVERYTHIGN we want to do or we might go ahead nad put it on..we plan on adding a turbo eventually by next year..heres the thing, we do not know what PSI we plan to boost at, however we would like to hit around 230-250 hp..this will be a street daily driver as well..what sorta things should we be replacing anticipating this build? the best management so far we have looked into would be hondata. that of course may change ya never know..but as far as the engine itself, whats some pointers to look out for?

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
The rods will have to be replaced, Eagle makes nice rods that are affordable.
Also recommend dual valve springs and titanium retainers.
I'd deffinetly get some ARP head studs.
I've heard good things about Hondata, but I know somebody will bring up Neptune.
I personally think CP pistons are the best, but Arias, JE, Weisco, Mahle, Probe Industries, Race Engineering, Ross, and Signal Auto all make pistons for hondas. I might have missed some. SRP is JE.
Thats a start.

Which crowers do you plan on getting? 403s?

00CivicGirl

i will check the cams. we are gettin them from him so right now all i know that they are crower...yea i had forgot to mention the springs and retainters. those will be bought as well..i guess really i wanted to get some ideas on the block. i didnt know how strong stock rods, pistons and all that were.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
The rods are known for being weak. Sometimes this can happen.

Baldy201

That is a pretty good goal for not sleeveing the block. The PSI that you will be running to get there is about 7 psi. I am going to use Uberdata for my future setup. I has a datalogger so I can tune my own car with a Wb O2. So for me that is a good way to go cause there is not a really reliable tuner around where I live.

CHILD

all day all JDM
Hit up the Crower website and get yourself some forged low compression pistons from CP or JE and some steel con rods for the block. it doesn't need to be resleeved but that would help.

Chuckie Finster

The stock LS motor is plenty strong for your horsepower goal; might need just a simple rebuild due to the high mileage. You can shoot for a lot more power if you plan to strengthen the reciprocating assembly. Focus your efforts on tuning. Here, you won't want to go crazy on the ignition timing--6 more horsies for 40% reliability...no thanks. I'm with Uberdata on this one, but you can't go wrong with the Hondata. Oh and keep the revs below 7500 rpm. Then you won't need to worry about the P&P. The cams and P&P, however, will hold on to the torque band longer and yield an even higher HP figure. Then again, if you're shooting for that much power, you'll begin approaching the design limits of the stock engine and forged internals would be a good idea. But for the mid 200's, the LS stock or not is pretty reliable. If you don't know what you're doing, doesn't matter how stout built, you're gonna blow the motor.

00CivicGirl

thanks for the info guys..im sure i will be back and forth in this thread the next couple of weeks asking more questions..i know that tuning this thing is going to be the most important aspect of it..im more technology inclided than he so he can work on the mechanics of it and i can work on the datalogging :)

Matticus

CHILD said:
Hit up the Crower website and get yourself some forged low compression pistons from CP or JE and some steel con rods for the block. it doesn't need to be resleeved but that would help.
Get JE, the piston skirt clearance is a lot less on them compared to the clearance on cp pistons. (.003 as aposed to .005) JE has a new piston coming out for all motor b series, not to give anything away but the clearance is more like .002. This matters more on all motor set up than it does on turbo because your not planning on running some crazy big stroke and bore and getting crappy r/s numbers.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
you can hit those numbers on a stock block. i would suggest a good kit, not anything like greddy. the stock block is good to about 300 hp, and then the rods and pistons give out. stock sleeves are good to much more than that. i wouldnt suggest getting rods for such a low hp goal. i would say a good kit, skunk2 IM, large tb (64-70mm or so) and a 2.5" all the way through exhaust.

also, dont be so fixated on psi. you can hit 300 whp at 15 lbs in a small turbo, or 300whp in 10 lbs on a larger turbo. think about your hp goals and what parts it will take to get there. it may take 5psi to get 250, or 10 psi to get 250. all depends on the parts you put on

heres a good site to check out for a lot of forced induction hondas.

http://forums.evans-tuning.com/

i would search all the old threads looking around, and wait a while to post..... also, dont post in a thread thats really old, everybody hates that