LS Timing belt and water bump on GSR motor?

sinisterDB

there is a difference in the amount of teeth on the belt and water pump between ls and gsr. you need to use gsr parts if you have a gsr motor.
change the belt, tensioner and water pump back to gsr and you should be good

RealGains

there is a difference in the amount of teeth on the belt and water pump between ls and gsr. you need to use gsr parts if you have a gsr motor.
change the belt, tensioner and water pump back to gsr and you should be good
I will and now need to spend money again :(. Hopefully it will fix the shredding fingers crossed

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Looks like you installed the spacers in the wrong location or wrong way when you put the belt on the crank. The LS belt and waterpump will work fine but at high RPM's the pump is known to cause cavatation.

dopematic

^^ What he said about he LS water pump and its efficiency for high RPM's.

LS water pumps are actually more efficient than VTEC water pumps but what happens is in higher RPM's it is spinning too fast and causing air pockets. How Honda fixed this problem was to basically make the VTEC water pump less efficient.

I believe that VTEC water pumps have 22T and non VTEC water pumps have about 18T? But both have the same amount of blades on the inside pushing the coolant through the motor. The more teeths for the timing belt would make it less efficient but prevent the air pockets from producing and is therefore more productive cooling at higher RPMs hence the VTEC timing belt.

Also, with the extra few teeths the VTEC timing belt in your case (GSR / Type R) will be a little bigger. Technically you can use a LS water pump and LS timing belt because the amount of teeths line up as well as the Head and Block height (B16 head and block height is much shorter so you would not use same timing belt). BUT you wouldn't want to do that because if you're planning on hitting VTEC it wouldn't bold so well with cooling the motor.

So.... get a VTEC 22T water pump and a P72 timing belt. You should be good to go.

Also, as others has stated, check to make sure you installed everything back properly. It seems as if something is rubbing the timing belt.

Good luck!