LS-V -- GSR & LS rod question....NEED ANSWER BY NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!

94gsrt

i'm gathering parts for my lsv project and have a set of eagle rods for gsr...i will be using LS crank and wisco pistons...

QUESTION: Can i use GSR rods on Ls crank ?...OR should i keep the stock LS rods...head is fully build with aftermarket internals....and not planning on going over 8k rpm.

will take my block to wash and hone soon so let me know as assembly is around the corner next weekend.

thanks.

White_Rabbit

Bore and stroke on an LS and GSR should be the same. I don't see why you can't. At worst you may just have to have them shot peened.

mirrorimg

Bore and stroke on an LS and GSR should be the same. I don't see why you can't. At worst you may just have to have them shot peened.
The stroke on an LS is 89 and a GSR has a stroke of 87.

From what I have read, you need to match the rod's to the crank you use.

Troof.
GSR and ITR cranks and rods can be used interchangeably but you can't use GSR rods on an LS crank.

wite2nr

gsr rods are .9mm longer than ls rods. basically when it comes down to it

LS crank = ls rods
gsr crank = gsr rods

94gsrt

THANKS...I needed those to make my point across....now the NEXT question...

I ASSUME THAT the stock LS RODS SHOULD hold okay for up to 8k reving and at most 200whp..let me know that is true before taking the stuff to the machine shop later this week.

thanks agian

mirrorimg

The rods are not the weak point, it is the rod bolts. They give out due to the stress when cycling that high. You need to upgrade to ARP rod bolts if you want to take it up to the higher redline.

phatintegra

Banned
THANKS...I needed those to make my point across....now the NEXT question...

I ASSUME THAT the stock LS RODS SHOULD hold okay for up to 8k reving and at most 200whp..let me know that is true before taking the stuff to the machine shop later this week.

thanks agian
You will need ARP rod bolts I belive the 8mm is the one you want to get. You are fine with the stock LS rods for 200whp

94gsrt

thanks alot...what else might I consider changing to ensure that my engine can handle the power without too much stress...

I'm changing or chaning to:

arp main studs
timing belt
gsr arp head bolt
and teh other smaller stuff so it's running newer parts..

SIDE NOTE: I have the b18A1 or 2 block...If I'm right it's obd0 ....I'm running obd1...will that be a problem or can I change some parts to make it run? Just curious...because I am getting mix messages from people I talk too both in person and online.

thanks alot...what else might I consider changing to ensure that my engine can handle the power without too much stress...

I'm changing or chaning to:

arp main studs
timing belt
gsr arp head bolt
and teh other smaller stuff so it's running newer parts..

SIDE NOTE: I have the b18A1 or 2 block...If I'm right it's obd0 ....I'm running obd1...will that be a problem or can I change some parts to make it run? Just curious...because I am getting mix messages from people I talk too both in person and online.
Don't forget to get add some ARP rod bolts to that list, as mentioned above.
The block is not the issue as far as OBD0 and OBD1 are concerned. It's certain clips and sensors throughout the engine bay that are the problem. If you have a DC that's OBD1 and you're just running a b18a1 block, you shouldn't have a problem.

White_Rabbit

Sorry, you are correct the stroke is different. However, call your local machine shop. You can use LS rods on a GSR crank. I'm using LS rods on a b16 crank. They just need shot peened.

94gsrt

itr water pump with gsr timing belt should be fine right?

got gsr oil pump and bearings already...will be running on rc550 and hondata s200 with other upgrades...taking the block to the machine shop if there is anything else that i might have missed please let me know.

mirrorimg

Sorry, you are correct the stroke is different. However, call your local machine shop. You can use LS rods on a GSR crank. I'm using LS rods on a b16 crank. They just need shot peened.
I believe it would depend on which pistons you use. If you use high domed pistons (CTR) you could kiss the valves/head. The LS rod is a little longer than the GSR rod, and that MAY cause clearance issues. More research would need to be done depending on which depends on which pistons he uses. I'm sure a machine shop that knows about Honda motors would be able to give more information on this subject.

OEM or ACL Bearings, ITR oil pump and ITR waterpump to your list
Oil pumps: all 96+ oil pumps are IDENTICAL. Any new oil pump purchased through the dealer reflects the newest oil pump sold.
In 1996, Honda made all the integra oil pumps universal, so all LS, GSR, and ITRs have the same oil pump 1996+.
The timing belt needs to match the water pump. If you have a GSR or ITR water pump, you MUST use a GSR/ITR timing belt. Also, the VTEC head is a tad taller, and therefore the VTEC timing belt is a little longer. All of this data can be found __HERE__

Edit: you probably shouldn't have gotten the bearings until the machine shop let you know what the clearances were going to be. If they machine the crank it may take it out of proper spec for the bearings you have, and the tolerances will be way off.

Last edited: