LS/VTEC an automatic?

ep3er

Can you swap a B16a head to a non VTEC motor but automatic? Will you have to program the ECU?
Can anybody reply?

Can you swap a B16a head to a non VTEC motor but automatic? Will you have to program the ECU?
Can anybody reply?
As long as the block is a b-series you should be fine. As for the ecu, if you dont use a vtec controller you would have to buy a diff ecu or have yours programmed for vtec. If your goung to buy an ecu, you will most likely have to use an auto civic ex ecu or a jdm auto vtec ecu.

ltrain

iv seen it done in person...but if u want power with an auto just slap a JR supercharger and call it a day

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
yeah and tear up the tranny in no time. if your going to stay auto then you have to beef up the tranny or else just go manual.

mteg

Automatic Lover
Your best bet is source an ecu and wiring harness from a JDM automatic gsr. There was one on ebay a while back-gsr motor, auto tranny, wiring harness, and ecu. IDK if the civic ecu would work, never really thoguht about that one. Tranny wise, your ok till you hit about 250hp, then kiss your tranny goodby. If you can source one, try getting an automatic gsr tranny-shorter gears and/or hit up www.levelten.com for this. I've always thought that a JDM dc2 automatic coversion would be the shit and score major points with judges casue of the rareity-but your not going to find much support. Most people here are going to tell you do the 5-speed swap. As a fellow auto owner, I'm interested in seeing how this would work. Good luck.

B18TEG

BLACK DA
yea any obd1 vtec equipped ecu, it can be ffrom an accord or anything, as long as its obd1, you can chip the ecu and run a stock basemap on there for your application. check out pgmfi.org

B18TEG

BLACK DA
into the harness. you gotta get the schematics, or get yourself one of the jumper harnesses, itl have everything you need, and will have the wire for vtec there already

mteg

Automatic Lover
Your'e better off just sourcing one online-wiring harness and ecu-unless you feel confidentdoing all the wiring yourself or know wome one that can do it.

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
your really going through with this ? you will probably need a jdm auto gsr tranny to get full benifit of the vtec i dont think auto trannys were made to rev to 8200 rpm. no matter what anyone tells you youll probably end up tearing up the tranny so eventually you will need to upgrade the tranny. no disrespect to all auto teg owneres but to me its just not worth the time and money and no matter what youll still get your ass handed to you by an real gsr.

ep3er

your really going through with this ? you will probably need a jdm auto gsr tranny to get full benifit of the vtec i dont think auto trannys were made to rev to 8200 rpm. no matter what anyone tells you youll probably end up tearing up the tranny so eventually you will need to upgrade the tranny. no disrespect to all auto teg owneres but to me its just not worth the time and money and no matter what youll still get your ass handed to you by an real gsr.
Well, if I go through with this, the car will be for my wife. I know I will not be anything like a GSR but it will move. For me I got something else in store, I will keep you guys posted.

mteg

Automatic Lover
The gsr auto trannys don't rev to 8,200-I think its only 7,800. Actually, theoritically A built automatic tranny will beat a manual cause an auto shifts faster and more consistant than a human can. Thats why a lot of drag carsespecially supra's use them. Unfortunatly theres not a lot of support for automatic honda's. Building a NA automatic honda is pointless cause you can't rev as high, but a buitl boosted auto benefits from the low end torque and the abiltiy to shift faster. You just need to have the right transimission with the right gear combination, and built strong enough to handle the stress. Not to mention, any vtech in an automatic teg is going to be super rare, and you get bonus braggin rights for beating someone in a 5-speed.