ls/Vtec Cost and expected power

IntegraMan1

I have a B18b1 and was wanting to but a b16a1 head, the questions I have are how much horsepower and torque can expect from this build and how much will it cost to do properly. Thanks

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Power gains are impressive, best bang for the buck if a vtec head can be found for cheap.

It is undesirable to do these swaps without first knowing theres a local tuner around.

They are detonate prone because its untuned, even if you have a vtec equipped ecu.

Power numbers vary, cant be specific on that, the gains are worth it if done right.

afroman18

"Gap Sissy"
Power gains are impressive, best bang for the buck if a vtec head can be found for cheap.

It is undesirable to do these swaps without first knowing theres a local tuner around.

They are detonate prone because its untuned, even if you have a vtec equipped ecu.

Power numbers vary, cant be specific on that, the gains are worth it if done right.
The important thing to take away from this is IF DONE RIGHT! Do your research and don't cut corners to save money.

JordanB21

type r oil pump 80
typer r water pump 60
timing belt 40
head with cams etc 300
sandwichplate kit 50-100
dizzy 50-100
oil and coolant 55
gasket kit 120
some type of ecu like hondata
a tune
plus another 500 for good measure.
probably should do rods and pistons too but not a must, and technically the water pump, oil pump and belt aren't messed.
its about doing it right.
and might as well do all bearings while you're in there

so it could be done for as cheap as a grand, I would suggest a minimum of 1500, but I wouldn't bother without 2000 since it's the smart thing to do here. Depends on your end game I suppose.

Silver2

DB7 Driver
If I remember correctly it is 142 hp non vtec and 160 with vtec. Type R is 190 hp depending on the year.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
It is a good idea to upgrade the block internals. Keep in mind that once you get your engine tuned, it will be making max power very close to redline, which will be a minimum of around 8,000rpm. That is 1,000rpm more than the LS internals were designed to rotate. The old LS rods and stuff probably won't last too long when they are rotating 1000rpm faster than they were meant to.

If I remember correctly it is 142 hp non vtec and 160 with vtec. Type R is 190 hp depending on the year.
B18B1 makes 140hp (LS/GS/RS)
B18C1 makes 175hp (GSR)
B18C5 makes 195hp (USDM ITR)
B18CR makes 200hp (JDM ITR)
That was when they were new, and does not relate much to how much power a built engine will make.