Ls/vtec question

95redRS

I know has probably been answered dozens of times on this site. Instead of going for a motor swap I've decided to do a Ls/vtec. I am purchasing a '01 gsr head with vomplete w/intake manifold, cams, valves, springs, rockers, vtec s. ect for 450 so it's a good deal. I'm going to get the golden eagle conv. kit and do I need a GS-R or ITR ecu? Which ecu should I get? Do i need ne thing else, such as GE Rods etc? plz tell me and thanks for your replies.

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
Dont know about the ECU, but I know you'll need good tuning with that ECU, I'd go a head and get better rods and pistons to be on the safe side,

95redRS

obd1kenobi said:
Dont know about the ECU, but I know you'll need good tuning with that ECU, I'd go a head and get better rods and pistons to be on the safe side,
Do you even need an ECU..going from non-vtec to i-vtec lol i thought you would need to

onepoint-gsr

You do need an ECU...I believe a p72. Someone vouch for that?

95redRS

So to build an LS/Vtech or i-vtec you would need the head complete with all the fixings, ECU, Conversion kit saves you money and time ne thing else? Wouldn't you need to replace the rods?

obd1kenobi

CI Transfomer God!
why do you keep talking about i-vtec??

From what I've heard the P28 single cam vtec is the best ecu to use, its easier to tune!

Winki

Undercover mod
you dont have to replace rods but it is helpful, and for an ecu look for obd1 vtec ecu since your car is obd1 sohc or doch, you might be able to use the ecu you have it you get it chiped, p06, pr3 p72,p73 plenty of options

95redRS

obd1kenobi said:
why do you keep talking about i-vtec??

From what I've heard the P28 single cam vtec is the best ecu to use, its easier to tune!
"i-Vtecor intelligent Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control.The new i-VTEC system combines features from both the B and D-series motors, creating a greater powerband width with cleaner emissions." Courtesy of www.all-acura.com

Last edited:

95redRS

Winki said:
you dont have to replace rods but it is helpful, and for an ecu look for obd1 vtec ecu since your car is obd1 sohc or doch, you might be able to use the ecu you have it you get it chiped, p06, pr3 p72,p73 plenty of options
I've heard of pr3's

Winki

Undercover mod
95redRS said:
"i-Vtecor intelligent Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control.The new i-VTEC system combines features from both the B and D-series motors, creating a greater powerband width with cleaner emissions." Courtesy of www.all-acura.com
yeah but you wond have it up less you getting a complete K series

95redRS

Anyone out there with an Ls/Vtec could tell me what they all got, and what they just left alone I would appriciate it

95redRS

Winki said:
I dont understand though...use my non-vtec ecu with a '01 gsr obd1 chip??

B18TEG

BLACK DA
you can succesfully run ls vtec on stock ls rods and pistons, the conversion kit is great, of course the vtec head, solenoid, water pump, timing belt, and ecu. you would want to ideally run a gsr, itr, or ctr ecu since those are the base b series dohc, simply plug and play. now if you have a obd1 motor, try and find an obd1 computer, not only les trouble tuning but you wont throw codes because of the missing o2 sensor. and thats all you need to run ls/vtec. now to whoop som ass you want to sleeve the block, forged rods (ls) some high comp pistons and all hardware and a built head pnp'ed ti retainers, dual springs and some big cams. and of course a new intake manifold (itr or skunk2 w/ 64mm throttle body [i believe its 64mm anyone correct me if im wrong]). and thats all she wrote folks