Ls/vtec question

95redRS

B18TEG said:
you can succesfully run ls vtec on stock ls rods and pistons, the conversion kit is great, of course the vtec head, solenoid, water pump, timing belt, and ecu. you would want to ideally run a gsr, itr, or ctr ecu since those are the base b series dohc, simply plug and play. now if you have a obd1 motor, try and find an obd1 computer, not only les trouble tuning but you wont throw codes because of the missing o2 sensor. and thats all you need to run ls/vtec. now to whoop som ass you want to sleeve the block, forged rods (ls) some high comp pistons and all hardware and a built head pnp'ed ti retainers, dual springs and some big cams. and of course a new intake manifold (itr or skunk2 w/ 64mm throttle body [i believe its 64mm anyone correct me if im wrong]). and thats all she wrote folks
Nice makes since now.. the head im getting does come with the solenoid...so since im getting a gsr head. i would want a gsr obd1 ecu? This is my winter project so i would have 3 months to change shit around. Planning on new cams/shafts and IM and throttle body (all Skunk2, love them all except there coilovers)

lsvtecmyke

complete vtec head with dizzy
vtec ecu
vtec timing belt
vtec water pump
vtec oil pump
lsvtec conversion kit
arp rod bolts(if you're planning to rev past 6800 rpms)
other than that its kinda pointless, hitting vtec for only a couple thousand rpms

steelies_ftw

lsvtecmyke said:
complete vtec head with dizzy
vtec ecu
vtec timing belt
vtec water pump
vtec oil pump
lsvtec conversion kit
arp rod bolts(if you're planning to rev past 6800 rpms)
other than that its kinda pointless, hitting vtec for only a couple thousand rpms
been to honda tech lately? theres plenty of wite ups, u can even talk to omni man one of the first people to accomplish LS/Vetc

siquedude

I'm running a P30 chipped with skunk2 program on my LS VTEC against the advice of my friend who told me to go with a p28 chipped. Supposedly, you can bypass the o2 sensor with p28 but I remember someone telling me you'll get more power with p30 ecu so I went p30 instead. Get ARP head studs and rod studs! Timing belt matches whatever water pump you're running. Honda tech write ups tell you to run GSR, but I'm running LS waterpump with LS timing belt. I'm also using my LS dizzy after sawing it so I can squeeze the VTEC selonoid onto the head. If you don't know what you're doing, just get a gsr dizzy. Hope that helps!

g3teg97

Super Moderator
It's recommended that you use the P28 because it's easier to tune and works a lot better than other ECUs. I wouldn't cheap out and do it right the first time. If you build it shitty, or half-assed, it'll run shitty or half-assed.

import810

just get some arp rod bolts, shotpeened rods, and new pistons

for ecu: run a chipped p28,p72, po6 (covnerted to vtec), on your choice of crome, uberdata, neptune whatever and just get it tuned.