ls/vtec turbo piston? not sure what to do

cutaoden

noob
i just decided to go ls/vtec turbo instead of ls turbo and was wondering if i could use the cp pistons that were ment for a stock ls head or not. im wanting to get a mild build on the stock ls block and a friend of mine is selling a set of cp pistons and eagle rods but they are for a ls block with ls head. my question is would that change the CR enough to where it would hurt me and slow me down since im using a vtec head or would it not matter? he is selling them to me for a pretty good price so i was wondering if i should get them or not. does it matter?

cliff note:
are cp pistons that were ment for a ls long block ok to use in a ls/vtec build?

If the CP pistons are low compression meant for turbo, there shouldn't be an issue. They are not domed like high comp pistions. Just don't mill the head a lot and you should be ok.

cutaoden

noob
yeah thats what i was thinking but a friend of mine said that in theory since the b16 head has way better airflow, the compression would change to go up or down....but as long as the cp pistons are meant for turbo (low compression) then it should be fine right?

cutaoden

noob
oh im sorry the compression ratio is 9:1 right now and its for a ls long block

so if i put a b16 head on would it raise the compression to 10?

s.cha

in the works
no i think it would drop the compression if you put on the b16 head

IntegraLS-T

B16 head will raise compression by about .4 if they are 9:1 with a ls head you will have no issues with the b16 head. good luck.