LS / VTEC vs. GSR ?!

95teg

ok yah yah, im sure there is a thread all about LS / VTEC and im sure there are plenty of threads about the GSR B18C's.. but i was watching MTV's : True Life - I'm a Street Racer. And all these people are hyped up over the LS / VTEC? Some kid has a RHD JDM DC2 Integra, and has a LS / VTEC putting down 220 HP, and 320 HP on NOS. So are there reasons' why an LS / VTEC is better? Which would you rather have, fact wise..

EDIT : OK! another twist to this.. which would you rather have done to either the LS / VTEC or the GSR?
- Turbo
- All Motor
- All Motor NOS ...?

# Thanks alot!!!

Last edited:

inline4four

I'll tea bag your face!!
LS/VTEC is cheaper. the most misunderstood thing about LS/VTEC is that you can just slap on a vtec head and rev it to 8000RPM and everything is kosh. LS rod bolts wont hold that high. in order to rev high you would need new rods and when you get new rods you have to have new pistons because stock pistons dont work with aftermarket rods. use ARP rod bolts too. another thing is LS oil and water pumps werent made for pumping that much at that high RPM either. upgrade those to B-series VTEC and your good. my friend had an LS/VTEC and revved it to 7500RPM with all stock stuff and was fine. with a built block you can rev to 9000 if your head can do it. and as far as the NOS or turbo and all that... BOOST IS BETTER!
________
Yamaha FJ1100

Last edited:

Baldy201

The reason the LS/VTEC is so hyped over is that is puts out slighty more power, in theory. The LS engine has slightly larger displacement(32cc to be exact). If you do it right the LS/VTEC engine can be better than a GSR, but may cost more to get it safe to rev to where the VTEC cams thrive.

inline4four

I'll tea bag your face!!
Baldy201 said:
The reason the LS/VTEC is so hyped over is that is puts out slighty more power, in theory. The LS engine has slightly larger displacement(32cc to be exact). If you do it right the LS/VTEC engine can be better than a GSR, but may cost more to get it safe to rev to where the VTEC cams thrive.
He's right. to build a LS/VTEC to rev high is expensive. but all stock, an LS/VTEC should pull on a stock GSR.
________
GB500

Last edited:

inline4four

I'll tea bag your face!!
95teg said:
so LS / VTEC is..... better than GSR?
depends on what your looking for. GSR's are great and have that honda reliability and they make great top end and ok bottom end. LS/VTEC's are also great but reliability depends on how high you rev. they make great bottom and great top end power.
some people like them, some dont. I have never had one myself but have had friends who have and currently do have LS/VTEC engines and they love them.
________
M5

Last edited:

95teg

ok another question, by the way thanks inline for all the feedback... ok well i currently have a 95 gsr, question is all motor or turbo? i know some are like easy question go turbo! but lets think of reliability, and cost? if i was to go all motor, it would be more like type r rods + pistons, i also heard b16 pistons are great and will give me good high compression, its a daily driver.. the turbo side is... WOW there are alot of parts to buy and a shit load of labor involved her, not to mention some custom fab. that i dont really have the time or place to do that... if i also when all motor with the type r rods + pistons, what cams would u reccomend, and also what would i need to do, inorder to have this engine support nos with out any probles...

by the way does an all motor run premium gas, or would i need octane booster? im sure its 92+ correct? but thats just a n extra question.. once again thanks for the help!

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
first i would go all motor you could still break 12's in all motor. next if all motor you want the highest compression, to get torque. on the other hand you want low compression for nitrous, supercharger or turbo. decide what you want and then decide the compression. if forced induction do you want off the line power, highway passing power, or top end. boost is just not as reliable as all engine. once you get into high hp applications expect things to break (oil pumps, axels, water pumps, etc) :D

inline4four

I'll tea bag your face!!
95teg said:
ok another question, by the way thanks inline for all the feedback... ok well i currently have a 95 gsr, question is all motor or turbo? i know some are like easy question go turbo! but lets think of reliability, and cost? if i was to go all motor, it would be more like type r rods + pistons, i also heard b16 pistons are great and will give me good high compression, its a daily driver.. the turbo side is... WOW there are alot of parts to buy and a shit load of labor involved her, not to mention some custom fab. that i dont really have the time or place to do that... if i also when all motor with the type r rods + pistons, what cams would u reccomend, and also what would i need to do, inorder to have this engine support nos with out any probles...

by the way does an all motor run premium gas, or would i need octane booster? im sure its 92+ correct? but thats just a n extra question.. once again thanks for the help!
Forced induction/ all motor. two great setups. first of all lets talk about all motor. going with Type-R pistons+ rods will set you at 11.0:1 compression which you will need premium to run on. any higher compression and you will need more than 91 octane. for cams, if you want to stay OEM and keep honda reliability, go with CTR(Civic Type-R) cams. they are more aggressive than ITR cams. also if staying with GSR head then get your exhaust ports done at the minimum. CTR valve train also. with this setup (11.0:1CR,CTR cams, CTR valvetrain, exhaust ported) you can expect to run high 14's(maybe) to mid 15's. Good thing about this setup is OEM reliability..... to support NOS "wet" you'll need good tuning (I recommend hondata), bigger fuel pump(255lph). with a "dry" kit you'll need the above and it doesnt hurt to have stainless valves and maybe a bit bigger injectors. my friend who builds the LS/VTEC's has a homie in idaho who runs a 100 shot dry and the only mods to his engine(B16A in EG hatch) are the stainless valves and a fuel pump and he's run that setup reliable for a few years and he's in the 12's.
Forced induction. to set up a good turbo kit (T3/T04E or precision turbo) it will cost a minimum of $1100-$1600 if you look around and find some good deals. by good setup I mean TiAl 38mm WG, BOV, IC,IC piping, downpipe, T3/T04E turbo, fuel pump, FMU, and misc hoses, lines etc.. with this type of kit my friend ran a 14.1** at a shitty ass track(RMR) here in utah on a otherwise stock LS at 9lbs of boost.

so all motor guesstimate cost is about $900 if you do the labor yourself meaning you rebuild your entire engine and do the port work yourself. if not it will cost a coule hundred more I'm guessing. Turbo kit: $1100- up depending on your hardware. so cost is a little more for a turbo kit but in my opinion, definetly worth it.

turbo kits are easier to install than rebuilding an engine if your worried about difficulty. basic hand tools, a jack and patience is all you need.

reliability: all motor with above mentioned setup is very reliable. once you bump up compression to higher levels and beefier cams then reliability starts going down. turbocharging is actually pretty reliable if you dont boost too high for your tuning/engine. the reasoning behind this is when you dont have your foot on the gas you dont have boost. simple as that. but the all motor setup mentioned is much more reliable than turbo.

sorry for the novel, I hope this helps.
________
Yamaha XS-1

Last edited:

95teg

that helps greatly, thank you.. so u said i would run high 14's to mid 15's, with all that work for the all motor? well im currently running 15.4's on stock GSR engine with minor I / H / C / E.. can i lose power going all motor, or can i only go up with that setup?

inline4four

I'll tea bag your face!!
95teg said:
that helps greatly, thank you.. so u said i would run high 14's to mid 15's, with all that work for the all motor? well im currently running 15.4's on stock GSR engine with minor I / H / C / E.. can i lose power going all motor, or can i only go up with that setup?
you could only do better if thats what you mean. those times are for around here though so where your at you could probably be faster. utah elevation sucks.....
________
ipod games

Last edited: