lsv and then goin boost?

Myteg

so im planing on goin lsv then gonna get a turbo kit of the teg but i was talkin to one of my boys uncles and he said that if i wanna go boost i shouldnt go lsv because wen the vtec pops and the turbo does too something may go wrong or something like that...i talked to him bout this a while ago forgot wut he had said but i was wondering wut he was saying was true??

turboda4dr

450whp
so im planing on goin lsv then gonna get a turbo kit of the teg but i was talkin to one of my boys uncles and he said that if i wanna go boost i shouldnt go lsv because wen the vtec pops and the turbo does too something may go wrong or something like that...i talked to him bout this a while ago forgot wut he had said but i was wondering wut he was saying was true??
doesnt sound right to me

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
dont go ls/vtec man

so unreliable and problematic, especially with boost

rwlsvtec_03

Their are basic problems when boosting anything that could happen. No difference whether it's ls/vtec or a gsr. LS/VTEC is NOT unreliable or problematic.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
Their are basic problems when boosting anything that could happen. No difference whether it's ls/vtec or a gsr. LS/VTEC is NOT unreliable or problematic.
maybe to you its not man

im just telling from what i've seen and my personal experience

i would never go ls/vtec IMO

rwlsvtec_03

please explain..
Only thing with ls/vtec is having to plug oil to head(because there obviously isnt one on the ls block) then running a sandwich plate with addition oil line to head also using ls head gasket. LS block is still forged just like any other b seres..

steve-o_585

The head studs are longer on a gsr block & sumthin bout the r/s is wrong with it, running high rpm's on a ls vtec is not recomended. Im still deciding if i want a LS/V or jus plain old built GSR. What u guys think? Im looking for reliable & power!

rwlsvtec_03

The head studs are longer on a gsr block & sumthin bout the r/s is wrong with it, running high rpm's on a ls vtec is not recomended. Im still deciding if i want a LS/V or jus plain old built GSR. What u guys think? Im looking for reliable & power!
either way its reliable.. just build it right the first time. If you want high rpm's then build it for high rpms.

IntegraLS-T

My built sleeved LS Vtec made 607 fwhp on a superflow dyno. Any motor is going to have its fair share of issues when you start pushing power out of them. If we are talking stock internals to stock internals the disadvantage of the LS Vtec is that they tend to spin rod bearings at high rpms, because the ls is not ment to rev as high as a Vtec, but this is easily fixed with a set of arp rod bolts, if your talking forged internals, its not going to make a difference. Also gsr head studs work flawlessly when doing LS Vtec, and the vtec head gasket seems to work better IMO. I say if you already have the LS bottom end its going to be cheaper to put a set of ARP rod bolts in it and go LS Vtec than to pick up a good GSR bottom end. And if you don't have either, go GSR the less complicated, (ie: the extra oil line) the better. But to say the LS Vtec has some sort of issue over a gsr, when boosted, that is not the case. Good luck.

gamerchad

Wouldn't it be best to sleeve a motor that's already ls/v for boost?
What about compression of pistons (i.e. is 9:1 ideal) and would aftermarket connecting rods be more reliable at the higher rpms than the LS connecting rods?
This all being for a DD (8 to possibly 10psi).
My Ls/v is damned fast w/ type R pistons, but they skyrocket the CR.

I don't mean to high jack the thread, I was just thinking about this lately and didn't want to start another thread when theres one right here.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
with ls/vtec, to make it work reliably, you would need to up grade your rods, they will allow you to run at high rpms, but while you have it apart i would also get arp rod studs and pistons. thats the minimum.

a sleeve is meant to protect the block for high compression ,unless you put high compression pistons or a large load from a turbo on it you would not need them. a ls block can safely be boosted up to 10psi

djh1991

i heard vtec + turbo was only safe if u upgrade ur motor. heard s/c was the safe way to go with boost for vtakkk

gamerchad

with ls/vtec, to make it work reliably, you would need to up grade your rods, they will allow you to run at high rpms, but while you have it apart i would also get arp rod studs and pistons. thats the minimum.

a sleeve is meant to protect the block for high compression ,unless you put high compression pistons or a large load from a turbo on it you would not need them. a ls block can safely be boosted up to 10psi

That's what I thought, thanks for the input. It was just worrying me recently, don't want to have put money into a motor just to have it blow.:???: Will definitely look into rods, studs and pistons...any suggestion on brands?