Lug nut question

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
I am about to buy some lug nuts for the car and was just wondering if there are any differences between open and closed ended lugs, other then just a hole. Are there any benefits. what would you reccomend.

mteg

Automatic Lover
I have open ended, but thats because my old rims required it to fit under the centercap. Closed is going to look a lot cleaner, but open is going to give you more verisitility. I'm guessing closed ones are going to be a little stronger too.

emmanuel2112

puertoricanLS
if yoy have open ended, would it get rusty becuz of all the water going in

speedin

The Transporter
no, you shouldn't. My teg has open ended lugs and they aren't rusted
Over time they will. I see it every day at work.

-Closed will look cleaner (IMO)
-Closed will help to keep moisture out

But their is a catch..... Their are some evil closed lugnuts.... Their fake. Most commonly found on GM's. They are a open ended nut with a thin piece of metal over it to look like a TRUE closed. You see those covers round-off easly, can fall off, get stuck in a socket. And are generally a PITA to your mechanic. LOL. But you can spot a covered open lug pritty easly. Just look closely. OR try to pull off the cover :lol:

Becides the fake closed ended nuts, id go closed (if they fit under your center cap, that you may have :roll: )

Last edited:

PogKai

B20VTEC
Over time they will. I see it every day at work.

-Closed will look cleaner (IMO)
-Closed will help to keep moisture out

But their is a catch..... Their are some evil closed lugnuts.... Their fake. Most commonly found on GM's. They are a open ended nut with a thin piece of metal over it to look like a TRUE closed. You see those covers round-off easly, can fall off, get stuck in a socket. And are generally a PITA to your mechanic. LOL. But you can spot a covered open lug pritty easly. Just look closely. OR try to pull off the cover :lol:

Becides the fake closed ended nuts, id go closed (if they fit under your center cap, that you may have :roll: )
yeah, I've seen those fake ones on GM's.. and older models were kind of a plastic material lol