Making a Woofer box

Sean

So i been asking people about what box i should get for my da9. Its come down to The hatchback box, I hear it has great sound and great bass. So I just want to do a basic closed box hatchback style, for 2 12" subs separated in the box.
Im going to make my own xD.

Here are my dimensions i stole haha.

Dimensions:

Width: 28.25"

Height: 13.25"

Top: 14"

Bottom: 16"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my setup:

4ch 680watt Jenson Amp

2, 12" Hifonics
600 WATT Each Sub
RMS: 300 watts EACH!
Dual 4 ohm High-Temp KSV Voice Coils
Sensitivity: 88 dB

So my questions are:
Will these box dimensions work with this setup?
What wood thickness should i get biggest or minimum?
What glue should i use?
Should i put in cones?
How do you do a good job on the carpet?
IS there a certain stain i should use on the wood?

Thanks guys.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
aren't 2, 12"s a lil much? I have the same subs and 2 12's in my DC2 is too much.. not to mention HEAVY! I'm gonna get really good quality speakers that have good bass and if that's not enough bass when I'm bumpin some dubstep or techno MAYBE i'll get one 10" like an alpine type R or a kicker.. when I have the money to work on random shit but for right now im trying to get my suspension rims and tires squared away.

Sean

Thats why i can adjust everything on my amp. I just want to know how to make a good box. And i already have the speakers so im not getting different ones.

tork_sd89

Baywatch
cool.. well me they came out my other car so i just threw em in the teg cuz stock system wasn't gettin it for me hahaha

Sean

My stock bass sounds horrible. And did you mount it down? because that has a lot to do with the sound.

Sean

yeah those were too much haha. im not going to blast it i just like my bass xD

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Use MDF (not particleboard or plywood) that is 3/4 inch thick. Home Depot has 3/4 inch 4'x6' MDF sheets for less than $10. You may need two sheets for a dual 12" box.

Any wood glue will work fine, I use Elmers. I use wood glue and I screw the panels together, you want those panels as rigid as possible so there is as little vibration and flex as possible. If you have air tools, a nail gun works great too, much faster and easier than screws.

You don't have to stain or treat the wood in any way. Use spray adhesive to carpet the box, 3M makes good spray adhesive.

You'll want to use silicone to seal the box. You want an air tight box.

What are cones?

Sean

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the carpet. Whats the best way to lay it out on the box?
Cones are like the black cones that are round.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
There's a way to wrap a box in carpet, it's hard to explain in words. It's like wrapping a present, but you don't have any overlapping areas, you cut off those parts with a box cutter.

Cones are ports, your saying? I wouldn't do a ported box, go sealed all the way.

Sean

i changed my dimensions, The ones i had before were to small.
Length: 33"
Heights:
Top:N/A
Bottom:13"
Back:15"
Front:16"

The front leans at a 20 degree angle.

Will update when i get the rest of it cut out. Thanks~