Manual rack conversion?

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Long story short, I think my OEM rack is on its way out. I did a PS delete, and want to go ahead and drop a manual rack in. I'm assuming any EG manual rack will work? Anyone know of any surprises I may run into, before I run headlong into this project?

v8meetmy9k

Nopw. Did this last week. It will fit perfect just put the powersteering bushing over the manual bushing and use the power steering bracket.
On the left side mount.

OLDSKOOLACURA

Nopw. Did this last week. It will fit perfect just put the powersteering bushing over the manual bushing and use the power steering bracket.
On the left side mount.

Or if you have a eg manual rack subframe, you won't have to double up on bushings.

Both are correct, I'm in the process of deciding which way to go. I already have the eg rack.

Posted from my build thread

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I was thinking about doing this, but the manual rack needs the M factory guts to have the same turning radius.

OLDSKOOLACURA

The difference is so minimal, even at the track I doubt it would be noticed... Maybe at a hair pin corner than yea, but any other turn I don't see it being a big deal.

OLDSKOOLACURA

Subframe is easy swap out. and assume you have the "C" clamp for the manual rack.?.?
No I believe not...? (I bought the rack brand new from honda)

I know I still need to get the civic steering... Shit what that part called, knuckle? The part that connects the steering shaft to the rack

OLDSKOOLACURA

On the left side mount.
Is it solid this way with double bushings?

I'm still leaning more towards getting a civic Subframe

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
The difference is so minimal, even at the track I doubt it would be noticed... Maybe at a hair pin corner than yea, but any other turn I don't see it being a big deal.

+/- 0.1 degree of camber makes a difference so a "minimal" difference in radius will make a difference.

OLDSKOOLACURA

+/- 0.1 degree of camber makes a difference so a "minimal" difference in radius will make a difference.
True, but I still believe it won't matter much unless you are taking a tight turn, autox I believe you would really notice a difference. On the street or a track I don't think, but also I haven't driven a teg with the swap so I'm making a guess from what others have said that have done it.

I'll get to try first hand next summer

white4d96

Burning oil like a boss
Whoa whoa whoa.

What exactly is different in the EG subframe vs. the DC one? Just a smaller bracket for the rack? What I'm getting at is, would it be feasible to just adapt the bracket on the DC subframe, rather than double-bush'ing the rack?

Dylan, you have a link for these Mfactory internals? Not that I think I particularly need them, I seem to have some rubbing with the current rack; maybe a little less steering angle would alleviate that. I tried searching Mfactory's site, to no avail.

TheMyth

The rack clamp on the passenger side of the subframe will not interchange between p.s. and manual frames. Unless there is drilling and thread tapping or nut/bolt action to mount it.