Minor Missing URGENT

AlphaWolf1993

So I've driven on my current street tune for roughly 2 months and the other night after crossing vtec it popped real bad and an injector died and dragged a cylinder all the way home. No internal damage was caused but an injector had misfired, spilled some gas into the intake and I guess died. I replaced it and got the car running and now it will idle fine and within the target a/f, but will stutter (ie rpm will slightly drop for a quick second, a/f will run lean and then it idles fine again). I plugged the stock ecu up and same issue. I did recently put on the S2 im and tb but it's been the same setup for months. I have no clue what to do and where I live, no mechanic around here speaks anything short of Chevy/Ford :S

Muckman

Not a M0derator
How is "Minor" and "Urgent" together in the subject?

How does an injector MISFIRE? Did you mean BACKFIRE?
Your diagnosis of the issue is confusing. How did you determine it died?
You replaced just one injector? is this a stock injector? same brand etc?
Did you replace the spark plugs? Have you inspected the plugs?

You recently "put on the S2" ? What does this mean? Are you superman?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Do you know what cylinder it's missing on? You said put the stock ecu back in, so do you have a Hondata or anyway to data-log info?

AlphaWolf1993

I have a Hondata. Cylinder one, the injector stopped firing. I replaced with another one injector. It is minor in the sense that it isn't like it's hitting on three cylinders and one just isn't, it's as if one cylinder is missing every 10-15 seconds. I determined it 'died' when I could unplug it and it not change idle and that it fired on that cylinder when I replaced it. Plugs had normal wear. S2 is fairly commonly used for Skunk2. When I am datalogging, it will run as normal, no cel or error codes, however it will freeze very quickly and then continue to run as normal. It freezes on time with the misfire, which is why I swapped the ecu to make sure my Hondata was still ok.

AlphaWolf1993

To further explain when it started, it had backfired (sorry for the incorrect word), I backed out immediately and let it drop to idle, which was down in the 2-300 range. It continued to run but was obviously not hitting on one of the cylinders. Where inspecting everything I noticed cylinder one has fuel in the intake runner and that the injector wasn't reacting to being unplugged while running. I replaced it with another oem injector and all is well. It will start and idle fine for a few minutes. Then it will sound like it's misfiring or missing for a split second, idle will dip a hundred or so rpm, and then spike back where it belong, at the same time it dips rpm, it will spike ~1afr on the wideband. I believe it's fuel solely because my assumption is that an injector may not be functioning properly, causing it to go a bit lean and not have the same 'power' as other cylinders. I also have a fairly new dizzy. However I'll be testing all the sparkplug in a sec and make sure they are not the cause

AlphaWolf1993

Plugs now look like this. One and two have heavy deposits and the black doesn't wipe off very well (the unburned fuel does)

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Did you put a new injector? Is the injector exactly the same as the others? Did you recalibrate the voltage offset in Hondata?

It just seems likely it's the injector since that was what went wrong. I don't see a point in going through anything else until you positively rule out that injector as the culprit.

AlphaWolf1993

It was a used injector but was in good condition, I grabbed the whole set for cheap because I have Grams I'm putting in when I can hit the dyno and I just wanted to make her drivable again. They are oem. I didn't think about voltage difference. I'll try plugging that in and seeing if that makes a difference

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If you grabbed a whole set, try switching that injector for the other three and see if it goes away. One might have been faulty. Injectors are touchy, especially if they've been sitting awhile.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
When I am datalogging, it will run as normal, no cel or error codes, however it will freeze very quickly and then continue to run as normal. It freezes on time with the misfire, which is why I swapped the ecu to make sure my Hondata was still ok.
This is the clue. What ever is going on here sounds like is causing the issue. The Hondata prepped Ecu could be the issue. It could be a bad ground. We've seen RFI interference from non resistor spark plugs even cause Hondata to freeze like this during datalogging.

Oh and you still never made it clear WHAT SKUNK2 part you installed. You just restated skunk2. Intake manifold? Cams? Header? Exhaust? Injectors? Im not a mind reader.

AlphaWolf1993

Intake mani and throttle body. Sorry. I swapped the ecu for a stock p72 and it had the same issue, so at least for now I don't think that's the issue. I'm gonna grab new ngk plugs and some wires, since I've never replaced them. I'll also check the grounds. Thank you. I'm gonna swap some of the injectors around and see if that changes anything as well

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Im not sure if anyone else would agree with me, but those injectors seem like your car is running pretty rich...