mirror block off plate help

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
well as some of you know, I plan to be rocking some fender mirrors here pretty soon and the only thing holding me back is the fact that the wiring info and instructions are in Japanese and I dont have a driver side block off plate because they are nearly impossible to find. anyway, I took it upon myself to make my own matching set. I have cut out two pieces of thin aluminum sheet metal that match the way the OEM mirrors mount. but from here, IDK where to go. They need to be thicker. Thicker sheet metal doesnt seem like a good idea cause they have a bit of a curve to em. Wood is ghetto. I thought about applying a thick layer of bondo but IDK how well that would work out, and I thought about fiberglass but I've never done fiberglass. So any suggestions?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
what year is your integra? if its a 94-01, easiest way to make a blockoff plate is to buy some knockoff spoon mirrors and just fill the holes where the main part of the mirror would be on the base plate.

96GSRteg

Tyler
Take it to a fab/machine shop. If you already have a template, it should be pretty easy for them to cut a new one on thicker metal and give it the shape you need.

Are you gonna paint match it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

grayghost

Probably the best way would be to cut a piece of steel larger than the area and bend it to fit the inside contour of the door. cut a couple of sheet metal discs to match the diameter of the holes you want to fill and weld this inside the door. Now you would have a stable surface to apply body filler to so that your door looks like it never had mirrors. Chunks of metal bolted to the outside wouldn't look good in my humble opinion. Bondo alone will crack.

Good Luck

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
Take it to a fab/machine shop. If you already have a template, it should be pretty easy for them to cut a new one on thicker metal and give it the shape you need.

Are you gonna paint match it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
no. it will be black like the OEM black off plate is. and I am going to have to search long and far to find anyone with that kind of skill near me. its hard to find people that can build a decent head

Probably the best way would be to cut a piece of steel larger than the area and bend it to fit the inside contour of the door. cut a couple of sheet metal discs to match the diameter of the holes you want to fill and weld this inside the door. Now you would have a stable surface to apply body filler to so that your door looks like it never had mirrors. Chunks of metal bolted to the outside wouldn't look good in my humble opinion. Bondo alone will crack.

Good Luck
and that is way over kill. theres a bunch of stuff inside the door I'd have to cut out to make it sit flush and I'm not trying to something completely permanent. and the OEM plate is metal that has been wrapped in this like rubber/vinyl stuff. and thats what I would like to imitate.

I'll post pics of my template sitting in the spot later tonight