Mirrorimg's build thread

mirrorimg

Sorry man. On the plus side, it looks pretty cool with the USDM lights in there.
Probably is a lot more work than I needed to do, but if I go in next year with just DOT bulbs and they say the housing is a no-no, then I will have something to fall back on. I do wish the inspector was more specific though, would have saved me so many trips to the JY.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
hmmm im sure you gotta be the only person in VA doing this! what do other folks in va with jdm itr fronts do? pay someone that knows someones that knows someone? lol

mirrorimg

pass inspection...like a boss
I'm trying!

hmmm im sure you gotta be the only person in VA doing this! what do other folks in va with jdm itr fronts do? pay someone that knows someones that knows someone? lol
That or get much luckier than I. I have taken my car to 3 or 4 places since I got it only to have them either say its too low or that the headlights arent DOT. I always assumed it was the housing, but it seems to appear this whole time it was just the bulbs :(

mirrorimg

Looks like my HID kit is not plug and play, so the previous owner but the harness and wired it in directly. Didnt bother to remove the electrical tape to see how its actually connected yet. One more trip to the junkyard for the harness and bulbs.

what exactly failed you? I have HIDS and am in Virginia and didnt fail inspection for them..

mirrorimg

so other people in VA just know people and pass inspection?
how does JDMJim pass?
He is special. (I used to go to him for my inspection :) )
what the f*** did i miss?
Failed inspection, attempting to pass.
what exactly failed you? I have HIDS and am in Virginia and didnt fail inspection for them..
I thought it was non-DOT approved headlight assemblies (The JDM housing). I did what you see above, and they still didnt pass me. The only thing left is the HID bulbs, which do not say DOT. Thats the only thing it can be.

Other people seem to fortunately pass with no problems. I have no such luck. I guess I use up my luck in other places.

I think I am going to buy some of these, to convert my HID harness to plug and play so I can easily swap things over in the future.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160681242378?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_3993wt_1163

Edit: Just bought them. I bought 2 sets, so I plan to hack one up so that I can attach the connector to the HID ballast to make it plug n play and I can swap the HIDs for halogens easily.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

I really only needed to buy one pair, but it doesnt hurt to have extras. Made the lights plug n play now, all I need are 9006 halogen bulbs then try again for inspection.

Jeffbel

If you put some black fiberglass or plastic around the headlights so they were flush, it'd be badass.

mirrorimg

Car has been dropped off, again, to try to pass inspection. Fingers crossed. If I fail again the Jdm lights are going in with dot halogen bulbs and I am bringing it to ANOTHER shop... Such a bother.