modded cars in snow??

XTurboAcuraX

ok here's my question. does a modded car perform differently in snow? by modded i mean air intake, exaust, rims....the basics. no turbo or nos. i may move to montana and it snows there during the winter. will it affect a modded car?

95teg

i drive mine in the winter here in ohio, granted i'm sure our winters arent all that bad..but no it doesnt affect it much, also its not like i drive fast or hard on my car in the winter.. usually just like anyother car...heh if thats what you were asking

DownShift96GSR

See, in montana it snows alot. It wouldn't be a smart idea to drive a modded car, or any lowered car in the snow. If you do, put your factory rims on the car so you don't ruin your good rims. Hondas and Acuras, etc sell cheap up there because there's no use for them. You're better off gettin a truck for the winter and save the car for the summer, or when there is no snow on the ground.

XTurboAcuraX

yeah guys i kinda see what you are saying. i didn't figure it would be real bad to drive a modded car in snow. i know a truck is better to drive in know but I JUST DON'T WANT A DAM TRUCK. i have been wanting to get a cool cat for a long time. i don't think some snow is gonna stop me cause when i really want something i go for it and nothing stands in my way. i see what you are saying about the rims. i don't think it would be a real big problem changin them to stock when it snows. besides i know that people drive car in snow anyway modded or not. i don't think a few mods would really hurt it. i am most worried about the intake cause the thing needs to stay dry.
GIMME MORE THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS. THANKS!!!

Todd

token ex-mod
i drive in the snow all the time in my lowered rides... never have problems... i loves me some snow drifting :thumbs up

95teg

what Downshift is saying about rims in the snow is, well many thngs but one main reaosn would be the salt they use on roads.. the salt can actually 'pit' ur wheels and cause them to be discolored, possibly rust in the areas where the salt as eroded the material away.. things like that.. also a wider tire is kick asz is the summer, but in snow u want something narrow / skinny.. it will tread through snow much easier.. so rollin on 204/45/17 isnt all that good in the winter..heh..

XTurboAcuraX

what kind of rims are the worst for snow? in case you wanna know i don't really like the black colored ones. they look cool when they are like gray-ish or of course chrome. remember that evo in 2 fast 2 furious? it had pretty cool gray-ish rims. so which one's would not be good for snow???????

hadjie85

DownShift96GSR said:
See, in montana it snows alot. It wouldn't be a smart idea to drive a modded car, or any lowered car in the snow. If you do, put your factory rims on the car so you don't ruin your good rims. Hondas and Acuras, etc sell cheap up there because there's no use for them. You're better off gettin a truck for the winter and save the car for the summer, or when there is no snow on the ground.
i agree with stayin away from the modded cars in the winter. i have to disagree with the truck bit tho... i went over a guardrail last january in a truck. trucks are only good in the snow when they are balanced weight-wise, and 4WD helps...

my personal choice for the winter is a good, heavy american with FWD. but thats just me and all of this is my BS opinion...

Todd

token ex-mod
driving in the snow is %90 driver, last winter when my entire county was frozen in 2" of ice, it basically shut my town down. i was taking my civic around town passing 4x4 trucks that went outa control and hit the gaurd rail... there's no replacement for a good driver in snow and ice

DC2_Project

in winter i would get some wheels that you wouldnt be pissed about if they got messed up, some good tires, raise my ride back to stock height (coilovers) or put stock springs back on thats about it

XTurboAcuraX

what i plan to do is just keep the stock wheels. use the stock ones in snow and the cool lookin ones when there's no snow. and yeah get some snow tires and put them on the stock rims. i just hope the snow ain't gonna bother an intake and all the other $hit.

hadjie85

Todd said:
driving in the snow is %90 driver, last winter when my entire county was frozen in 2" of ice, it basically shut my town down. i was taking my civic around town passing 4x4 trucks that went outa control and hit the gaurd rail... there's no replacement for a good driver in snow and ice
passin some retards in 4x4's doesnt really prove that they suck at driving, or (dont be offended) that you are all that great at driving. trucks are much more difficult to handle in the winter. there is no weight in the back and yet that is where all the power is. even 4WD trucks are tough mothers to handle out there.

you todd are driving pretty close to what i suggested: a FWD car. your car is lighter than what i prefer in the winter, but it takes MUCH less skill to drive a car on snow and ice than it does a truck, even a weight-balanced 4WD truck.

and turbo you sound like you got a good plan. if you are worried about your air intake, then just run with the short ram thru the winter. im sure youll make it fine. :thumbup:

Todd

token ex-mod
i agree that fwd is easier to drive in the snow/ice then rwd.
but awd or active 4x4 will own most fwd cars in the snow and ice

i was in a lowered civic with no ABS, passing 4x4's and awd's with abs with owners that didnt know how to handle snow and ice
i've owned many many many 4x4's and am in the snow 3 or 4 days a week in the winter

the #1 thing that will help any driver in any car in snow and ice is experience driving in those conditions
i understand your POV but i'm sticking by my opinion

MoJoJoJo

Banned
well if u have a modded car in snow; better make room for it in the garage, hate to see u leave ur teggy outside. one thing u have to worry bout is rust, rims; suspension; rotors if snow gets in there or the snow is high enough etc.. and it goes unseen. and plus i dont think u wanna put chains on ur tires when ur car is dropped 2"...lol mang that would be some interesting to watch. best thing to do if u live in a snow area is have a backup car. ur project car stays in the garage and u can work on it until the snow goes down; and use the back up car for daily driving to work,school,ect.. my baby neva see's snow not that i get any down here..but if i was somewhere up north, i'll have her locked up =)

integral_94

i live in saskatchewan canada and we get about 5-6 ft of snow (unpacked, no wind kind of volume of snow - in the end its more like 2.5 ft when all is said and done) over the course of a winter... its alright for the most part, as long as deep snow doesnt get rutted and turn to ice. with my lowered car, i dont drive when that happens. but when snow is still soft, all i do is snow plow a lil bit. oh and i have to watch for ice cunks from trucks n shit that are too big for me to clear with my car. thats about it.