more "i don't know anything" questions

XTurboAcuraX

what's up everyone. you wanna answer my questions???

1 if you get rims that are bigger than the stock rims do you have to adjust the car's speedometer? the gsr has like 16s for stock rims. i might get 17s so will it mess up the speedometer?

2. a cat-back exhaust is where the exhaust system is built from the catalytic converter to the rear of the car. is that true.

3. i have heard that some sound systems use equlizers (or something like that). do you need them for better sound? i plan for an amp and a couple of subs and that's it.

4. are the people at performance shops really helpful or do they just wanna sell you stuff to make money?

5. when i get an exhaust (probably a greddy exhaust) how do a make sure it will sound good? i have hard many crappy sounding hondas or do they just have cheap exhausts?

6. any tips on avoiding hydrolock? and is the engine dead after water gets in it?

7. are the car sound cats legal in cali??????

ok i think that's enough for a while. i most likely will have more of these "i don't know anything questions" in case you wanna know. thanks for your time peace!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Baldy201

1. The GSR rims are 15" Stock. and getting 17" wheels will most likely throw off your speedo. If your tires have the same height your speedo will not be effected.

2.You are correct

3. All an equilizer does is make it able to adjust which part of the music is louder. A true equilizer alows you to adjust any where between 4-10 diffrent sound ranges. You dont need one to make your music sound good. If you have one it is possible that you can make your music worse if you dont know what your are doing.

4. Most of the time the people at the performace shops know what they are talking about. If you get some answer that doesnt sound quite right you can some on here and ask.

5. Most of the aftermarket exhust systems build by aftermarket companys that have a good reputation will have a good sound(aka Greddy)

6. The only way to get hydrolock is if you suck up water in your intake pipe. CAI's are kown for that, if you are really worried about that then dont get a Cold Air Intake.

7. I dont know the answer to that question. I would call Carsound and ask if they are CARB exempt.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
XTurboAcuraX said:
what's up everyone. you wanna answer my questions???

1 if you get rims that are bigger than the stock rims do you have to adjust the car's speedometer? the gsr has like 16s for stock rims. i might get 17s so will it mess up the speedometer?

2. a cat-back exhaust is where the exhaust system is built from the catalytic converter to the rear of the car. is that true.

3. i have heard that some sound systems use equlizers (or something like that). do you need them for better sound? i plan for an amp and a couple of subs and that's it.

4. are the people at performance shops really helpful or do they just wanna sell you stuff to make money?

5. when i get an exhaust (probably a greddy exhaust) how do a make sure it will sound good? i have hard many crappy sounding hondas or do they just have cheap exhausts?

6. any tips on avoiding hydrolock? and is the engine dead after water gets in it?

7. are the car sound cats legal in cali??????

ok i think that's enough for a while. i most likely will have more of these "i don't know anything questions" in case you wanna know. thanks for your time peace!!!!!!!!!
1) if the diameter of the tires is the same, you wont have to change anything, but if they are taller or shorter, youll need to check the alignment, and your speedo might be off 5mph at max
2) yes
3) no idea. my idea of a perfect sounds system is a good alpine deck, and a 10" sub..... im easy to please
4) yes and no. youll find that some shops will tell you all about some part saying its golden, when it really is just mediocre, and they try to push it because they get more money from it. i used to work at a import shop, so i know how it goes. you will find some shops that truly want to help (Full Race is one of them)
5) if you are worried about how its going to sound, then go custom. get the biggest resonator you can get, and the largest muffler you can stuff under your car.
6) short ram intake. if you have a 3rd gen i highly recommend the Comptech Ice box intake. it gets the good gains of both short ram and cold air, and no possible way to hydro lock it
7) not sure, but i would think that any cat would make it legal. and carsound is the best IMO

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
1. GSR's come with 15's stock, all other Teg's (except the aarrr) come with 14's. What you need to do to maintain an accurate speeometer is a calculation called "plus sizing" your rims. Check out www.tirerack.com to find out what this is and how to do it.

2. Yes

3. Well, you don't NEED one, but some people like them. My system in my previous car sounded incredible without one (probably because it was bi-amplified), but the system I have in my Teg needs one to sound right for me (using passive crossovers for the separates this time). If your only getting a sub, an EQ won't do anything for you, EQ's are for all the sound above the bass frequencies. But beware, cheap EQ's will add noise to your system, so get a good one if your gonna buy one. Stay away from department stores and Radio Shack when buying audio equipment.

4. You never know unless you do your homework ahead of time and know exactly what you need before you go there. Some slimeballs will tell you anything to get you buy junk you don't need, and some have integrity and will educate you on what parts do what and only sell you something that will help you. I don't know about you, but my default setting when it comes to salesman is not to trust them. Educate yourself and you won't have to worry about being taken advantage of. That's why your here one these boards, right? So ask away... :)

5. I don't know exactly what it is that makes an exhaust sound bad. I've only owned quality stuff, an Apexi WS and now a Magnaflow, and they both sound dope. I guess you should just go with the old saying, "you get what you pay for" and stay away from crappy companies like APC, Tenzo R, Pacesetter, OBX, Ractive ect. Maybe the cheap companies fill their mufflers with some cheap material that makes them sound so ricey, I don't know. Greddy's a good company, the SP exhaust is their quiet one.

6. Don't drive into a lake, because that's what it'll take to suck water into a CAI. You need to actually put the filter under water to get hydrolock, OR just don't bother putting your splashguard back on the bottom of your car after you install the intake and drive through some HUGE puddles over and over again, that oughta do it, too. What I'm trying to say is , its not as easy to do as people make it seem. I know, I had an AEM CAI for 3 years. I swapped it out last spring for a Comptech Icebox because the Icebox works better with my engine package. And yeah, you engine is quite screwed if you get water into the cylinders. Sometimes it will destroy the engine beyond repair, sometimes the engine can be saved, after several thousand dollars of course. It depends on how much water gets into how many cylinders. But yeah, it'll be quite dead when it happens.

7. Yes, they are legal in Cali., and they come with a guarantee that it will pass emissions for the first 25,000 miles of its life. I know this because, once again, I have one now.

Last edited:

XTurboAcuraX

thanks everyone for our answers. makes me feel kinda welcome to this site even though i don't know much about all this $hit. any more answers???????