more power!

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
ok so i have a 95 integra ls special addition and i want more power. i already have a short air intake and i just ordered a header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust which im waiting to be delivered. so basically my question is what now?

i would like to turbo charge it but i was told that the compression on my engine wouldnt be able to handle the turbo unless i was going to rebuild it (not something i wanted to do just yet). could i get a turbo with less boost and not rebuild the motor and not have to worry about something major going wrong with the engine? and would a smaller turbo be worth the money? or would it be more worth it to get a bigger turbo and just rebuild the engine? what exactly would need to be rebuilt if i went that route?

and what about the whole LS/VTEC conversion? i have a very small idea of whats involved in that. not much though. would it be worth it? and what needs to be done to the engine?

thanks guys! and please let me in on any ideas, opinions, and whatever else ya got for me. its greatly appreciated! just nothing about nitrous lol. id like my power gain to ALWAYS be there... not just when i hit a button :D

ltrain

well if u get the ls vtech conversion get the eagle conversion kit (requires no mods) b16 head and get new rods ( i heard there the weekest part of the ls)

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Your car has a 9.2:1 compression ratio, which is fine for turbos. Then you can say good bye to that brand new header. You can do an LS/Vtec but make sure you do it right, the rods are the worst part of the LS bottom. But you could do the LS/Vtec and if later you want more power then put the turbo on.

LS/Vtec would be better for a daily driver because of the higher reliability. Some turbos arent known for that.

Also building a turbo setup doesnt mean finding a kit online and clicking buy it. Youcan get some turbos out of junkyards and rebuild them. Especially eclipse turbos, which usually spool pretty quick in hondas. Turbos can be fun, but can be a pian do to more places for oil to leak. They usually leak a little at first till you find all the problem spots.

DownShift96GSR

SInce you already bought the header, buying a turbo next would be pointless. Turbos are fun, but all motor is more reliable and if built right, can be just as fast as turbo. Going with LS/VTEC would be great. That is probably your best bet right now is do that conversion, IMO.

If you don't have the money to do the conversion but still want a part of two for more power, get a pulley kit from unorthodox. Or even get a Skunk2 I/M. Its up to you, it's your money. Good luck with your car!!

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
What do all men with power want? More power.

Your going to have to decide for yourself wether to accept or reject what these men are saying. You'll just have to make up your own damn mind.

-The Oracle

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
so not that ill be turbocharging my integra anytime soon but whats the difficulty rating on rebuilding one of those junkyard eclipse turbos to fit my teg? and dont the intake manifolds generally only create more power in the 7000-10000 rpm range? how much hp could i expect to get from a pulley kit? and what about some sort of cpu chip or anything like that... are there any decent quality ones for under $500 that have a power gain worth that amount of money?

this is all some real good advice though. keep it coming.

MoJoJoJo

Banned
if u want to go boost? something safer than turbo, i'll say go with a S/C system. i'm also wanting to s/c my car, but its about a 6-7 month wait for comptech to release the s/c for my car. from what i can tell u dont really have a good knowledge of all the options u are thinking about. maybe if u do some research on ur own and come up wit ur own conclusion, u will be able to decide what u wanna go with.

ltrain

what exactly do u neem for a lsvtec conversion besides the eagle conversion kit, head (b16), and the ecu?? anything else.?? intake manifold etc..??