motor build for turbo. need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick4588

Integra God
and for what you want to do, the AEM is not needed at all. Hondata s300 and Neptune RTP can do essentially everything you will ever want to do. Tons of options and a good user interface.

ssmokeyy

Thanks for the info I will do more reading on s300. I will look in to those kits. Im going to stay with the cp manley setup. manley rods only cost a little more and i like the brand better. I have used both in the past and never seen any problems with eagle i just like Manley stuff better. Im doing 3" exhuast and waste gate dump not in exhuast. I don't think a 60 trim turbo will spool any where around 3500 rpm. I don't mind buying another turbo down the road but as of right now i want a good turbo for auto x and street. The more i think about it im thinking cp manley with arp main studs with golden eagle block guard is the setup for me. I know alot of people swing both ways on the block guard but the golden eagle one flows alot of coolant so im not 2 worried. maybe it helps maybe it doesn't but for 100 dallors i will give it a chance. But im going to use oem honda head-gasket so if it dose over heat we know what did it. And no bore for me since im going for a 1.6 to a 1.8 im all ready getting huge amount of tq as is over the 1.6. so why make the sleeve weaker is the way im seeing it now.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Aussie has made claims that every bolt is reusable in a honda. I agree, however I do not suggest the reuse of stock head studs because they stretch, he doesnt seem to agree.

Aussie also believes that forged internals and a built head are not meant for a daily driver. I disagree.

Aussie also claims Manley rods are overkill for his setup. I disagree.

Aussie says the OP's car is not boosted. Apparently did not read the thread title.

As soon as someone with more knowledge of a topic as him appears and proves him wrong, he resorts to sarcasm, neg repping, threatening to ban me for my views and how they clash with his because im being some sort of asshole about it, and making fun of kutchaboy who for whatever reason, decided to pop in this thread, throw a jab at me (while all the while not contributing to the topic at hand).

Did I cover everything? LOL

no hard feelings though guys I expect it
You think because I don't feel like taking the time to Build someone's motor over the Internet I have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyone who's looked at enough magazines can tell this guy what to put in his car. That's the problem, half the people on here who argue like this have had them built by someone else. It's not that hard to throw a turbo kit on a car. It's a bolt on mod. Nothing else.

1. The ops car is not boosted, so I'm right there
2. I still have not talked any crap to you so until you can quote something quit crying about it
3. Putting oem parts in the head is not built. Aftermarket cams, with large profiles, valve springs with high spring rates, titanium retainers are my idea of a built head. So in that case, no they are not made to last.
4. Forged pistons are not the best thing for a daily driver. Sue to the expansion rates they will not seal against the cylinders properly until they are warmed up so you will have oil blow by. The thermodynamic properties can also put more wear on the cylinder walls. This is why Honda coats there stock pistons in coatings such as molybdenum.

You have way too much time on your hands to sit and type that much man.

The only thing I'll take back is that I didn't know Manley made a more economic rod, so if that's the case go do it. Only rods I've seen them sell in the past were upwards of 700, which is alot for a 400hp build.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
And op its going to be hard for you to stick with 81mm and use forged pistons. Your going to have to have the sleeves cleaned up and crosshatched correctly for the pistons you buy. If anything I suggest going a little over. Any local napa machine shop should be able to handle that.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I also run the s300 system in my gsr and it is very easy to use. I have had all 3 of there systems and have never had any issues with them. Very easy to tune with and I can recommend some good books to read if you are interested in learning to tune it yourself. Keep in min you will also need some sort of wideband to keep an eye on things. I use a plx-m300 and it works great, very handy if your going to switch fuels because it has multiple parameters stored for ethanol, alcohol, meth, etc.

ssmokeyy

The motor is being built for boost plus it will have a turbo on it the first day i turn the key. And every one has been saying the stock head can handle 600 whp so why would i build the waste it sounds like a waste of money. every says gsr cams are great turbo cams ok so i have a set of gsr cams already and i will just use them. I ordered a b18c block for more low end. I have a machine we use for work hes going to to do my block. He has done a lot of engines he just won't port and polish says not wroth his time and i can understand that since hes a busy guy but he said any thing else i want done for the head is 75 dollars. the block hes only charging 250 for any thing i want that he can do but it will be an extra 75 for a line hone since he has to send it to his friends shop. So i don't know if those prices are that good or not but they seem fair. It seems cheaper to pice together a kit than buy a kit done kits starting at 2k plus when you can piece one together with parts a person likes for 1500 to 2k. i did like some of spoolin parts. I want to find more info on the efr brog turbo's. again the reason im looking into every thing so much is because the main goal of this motor is 5 year life min. If that means i have to change the oil every month than so be it. Up keep im fine with rebuilding every year im not.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Getting line honed isn't a bad idea. You want to make sure all your clearances are in spec. When you order an acl bearing kit all their bearings are in the middle spec (I think they are red on Hondas color chart). The problem with that is that you might have some journals wore more than others. This is why I recommend you mic your journals and your crank and order the correct Honda bearings you'll need. Also if you don't install those pistons correctly with the correct cross hatch your going to have big problems later. You'll be loosing major compression down the road.

I also wouldn't even touch the head. Most I would do is put new seals in it and clean it up. All those oem parts in it will be fine for your turbo build.

Prozon

Kris
The only thing i'm going to throw out without actually reading through this whole thread..

I recommended upgrading to ARP head studs. The stock head bolts stretch from use, and it's always good insurance to replace them with either OEM head bolts or ARP head studs.

patrick4588

Integra God
The motor is being built for boost plus it will have a turbo on it the first day i turn the key. And every one has been saying the stock head can handle 600 whp so why would i build the waste it sounds like a waste of money. every says gsr cams are great turbo cams ok so i have a set of gsr cams already and i will just use them. I ordered a b18c block for more low end. I have a machine we use for work hes going to to do my block. He has done a lot of engines he just won't port and polish says not wroth his time and i can understand that since hes a busy guy but he said any thing else i want done for the head is 75 dollars. the block hes only charging 250 for any thing i want that he can do but it will be an extra 75 for a line hone since he has to send it to his friends shop. So i don't know if those prices are that good or not but they seem fair. It seems cheaper to pice together a kit than buy a kit done kits starting at 2k plus when you can piece one together with parts a person likes for 1500 to 2k. i did like some of spoolin parts. I want to find more info on the efr brog turbo's. again the reason im looking into every thing so much is because the main goal of this motor is 5 year life min. If that means i have to change the oil every month than so be it. Up keep im fine with rebuilding every year im not.
ett borg warner turbos? they rock. not a fan of block guards. A) you will have to get it fitted in and machine to seat properly and the block decked. B) it will put uneven pressure on the walls causing hot spots. I changed oil every 2500 miles, and new plugs every 2 oil changes. You will also want to go to a heat range 7 ngk plug. Just run the copper ones and change them every 2 oil changes. The gsr cams work alright, they still die off kinda early... As far as autocross goes, you will want to be in the higher rpms to stay in VTEC. Therefore, as long as your turbo spools before 5000, you will be good to go. When the car revs to 8500, there is no point in having it full spooled at 3500. Also, your gas mileage will be much better with a bigger turbo since you will be out of boost for most all of daily driving. I was getting 30+mpg with a 530whp daily driver. Also wanted to put a vote in for the OEM headgasket, thats what i ran as welt

Last edited:

ssmokeyy

I guess im not understand this pistons problem. so the machine shop needs to do more than a hone on the block for the rings to last? And maybe you like to be at 5k but in auto x here a lot of the time you drop under that. we have small tight tracks. Im petty set on the 5431E CEA (54mm inducer) its going to do a lot of what i want. This is my summer car only. I drive a qx4 for daily and winter. would a itr intake cam and gsr cam work better than both gsr cams only reason i ask is my intake cam has some marks on it not sure if i can save it or not.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It really depends what shape your current cylinder walls are in. A simple hone of the walls and then dropping in new pistons isn't going to cut it, not if you want it to last 5 years. You really need to measure everything and see what specs you have to work with. A machinist who works on motors should not have any trouble with this.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
No upgrade needed for stock GSR cams. Btw there is no way in hell you rev your stock b16 to 10k.
Reading really must not be your strong suit, I said 9k and yes I did rev it to 9k, did it make power there, prob not but I hated that motor anyways so I didn't really care.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I have driven 800 horse power 3000gt's. My wifes gsx i built for her was 480 wheel hard as f*** around here to get a dyno on that since its awd. I have driven are 350z that 300 horse. I get bored alot. Im not being a dick just letting you know what i have driven. Will i need aftermarket valve train for the gsr cams in her? I love my b16 because she lets me go to 10k every day i know it doesn't do s*** but i like doing it to show off how good honda made there motor and dsm and nissan people can't. I get a lot of honda hate since me and my wife run a car club here and were the top club. Are 350z is in ad's and calender's.
Reading really must not be your strong suit, I said 9k and yes I did rev it to 9k, did it make power there, prob not but I hated that motor anyways so I didn't really care.
Did I quote you Guy from nerk? No I didn't so shut the fuck up. I like how all you newbs come on here talking shit and can't even understand how a forum operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.