motor laying around for years

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
well my buddys gsr motor was laying around for 1 year and a half and i was wondering if it was safe to drop it in and crank it up??(changing oil first) or is there any steps i gotta do before?? is the assembly lube still good on the crankshaft and camshafts?? or is relubing neccesary??

Rx7driver4Life

If it where me I would would bolt it on and remove the injector clips and turn the engine over with the starter for a while to build some pressure before firing it up. look in the oil filler till you see some oil in the head and fire it up

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
JDM engines sit around for a year if not longer...you should be fine. I 2nd what rx7 said about building oil pressure.
Good point...often in dusty warehouses or ship containers. If your friends motor was sitting protected in the garage with all inlets stuffed with a rag, you should be good to go and follow the insight offered by these other guys. I'd also play on the safe side and pop off the oil pan/rinse it out...could be some sludge left in there that you wont want running through your motor.

poordc2

if i was you i would replace the oil pan gasket and while your doing that try to take a look at the cylinder walls to see if everything looks good before getting excited like me.....mine was a Type R

fernando_dc2

I <3 my Honda
i did some research and found out putting penetrating oil or automatic tranny fluid in each cylinder and letting it sit for a day or 2 before trying to crank will help and rotate the crank manually with a breaker bar clock wise will break lose any sludge or crud without putting load on the motor... thanks everyone