Motor Problem HELP

H8BOOST

Ok i have a ls vtec setup, i am burning oil really bad, but there is no leaks anywhere. so i know its internal. some friends think its the piston rings and that there is a problem with the internal. when i accelerate nothing but blue smoke pours out of the exhaust and i can smell oil really bad. should i do a leak down test or. any ideas:shock:

Theasian

Perform a compression test. First just test it. Get your number then pour about a table spoon of oil down in the cyl and re test. This is known as a dry and wet test. Compare the two numbers. If compression increases your rings are bad. If numbers are the same then the rings are good. About how much consumption are you having. How much oil per 1000 miles.

H8BOOST

I pretty much drive it to and from work and around town every now and then. Which really isnt a whole lot. It seems like i've been having to put oil in it every week or so. I'll def try this. Thanks a lot!

mirrorimg

Perform a compression test. First just test it. Get your number then pour about a table spoon of oil down in the cyl and re test. This is known as a dry and wet test. Compare the two numbers. If compression increases your rings are bad. If numbers are the same then the rings are good. About how much consumption are you having. How much oil per 1000 miles.
NO

A compression test check the compression in the cylinders. The compression rings are completely different from the oil control rings. The oil control rings are probably be bad, where as he still might have good compression.

Mine oil rings went bad and I still had 185 compression across the board.

You need to perform a leakdown test. You will be able to hear air escaping based on where the leak is. Its either your piston rings or valve seals, or both.

H8BOOST

now is that a bitch to fix i understand that i am going to have to pull the head and everything nut money wise is it exspensive to do........

mirrorimg

Replacing the valve seals can be done with the motor in the car. You would need to take the cams, springs, and retainers out though, and have a way to support the valves so they dont drop into the combustion chamber (compressed air or a lot of twine).

The piston rings need to be done with the motor pulled out of the car. I dont know of a way to compress the rings and work them from the bottom up.