motor skipping in lower RPMs

mohawk42s

my motor started skipping about 2 weeks ago
only happens between 2500 and 4000 RPM
the rotor and cap were really old and nasty so i swapped those out
helped a little for about 4 days
it started getting worse so i checked my plugs and wires...they needed replacing as well
so i put in NGK laser iridium plugs and NGK wires
now its even worse!

any ideas?

mohawk42s

random miss firing most noticeable at low RPMs under load(acceleration or climbing grades)
i dont feel it at higher RPMs or idle
sorry i didnt explain....

mohawk42s

yep oil level is fine...how would that cause a miss fire?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Low oil can cause a whole host of problems, from pinging/knocking with bad gas, to vtec not engaging, I'm just trying to rule out simple/fluke things.

rockadilla

thats right.
are u sure u set the gap in the spark plugs correctly?
if u have then i know it sounds weird as hell but replace ur valve cover gasket. mine was kinda doing the same damn thing and i replaced the gasket yesterday and it runs as smooth as it did when i bought it. Im still not 100% sure its fixed totally but from just drving it yesterday and today it runs great. Im not sure how it fixed it tho lol. It might not fix your problem but while ur valve cover is off u can also do a valve adjustment, takes maybe 30 mins. Wrongly adjusted valves i dont think would cause the problem but its always good to make sure that they are adjusted correctly for the life of the engine. Also be sure to tighten down the VC enough when u replace the gasket.

a gasket is maybe $20 at a dealer, i wouldnt recomend getting one from autozone or anything cuz usually those ones dont work that well, but thats just my experience.

Last edited:

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
No worries, if you eliminate simple stuff, it saves time and money, but there's a few things it could be.

Clogged fuel filter
Incorrectly gapped plugs as mentioned
Also, a faulty ignition system could contribute.