Motor Swap or Rebuild????

avandy93

avandy93
I was just wondering a few things about what I want to do with my teg. I was looking into either swapping the motor or rebuilding the one that's in it. It's got a b18a1 in it now, with a 5 speed manual trans. I wanted to know - if I swapped the motor out and put the 1.7L vtech in it from that same year, how much would I have to change? Transmission, ecu, wiring, etc. Then, if I wanted to just rebuild it, is there anyone out there that has done the "old school" tuning on these engines and bored them out, ported the heads and the intake, threw headers on it, got bigger cams, etc. Just wondering what other people thought. THANKS.

zack11122

Is there a reason for rebuilding? As in over heated, burning oil. Etc?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if youre going to keep the b17 keep it stock or go to a b18c

dlo253

Dont get a b17. Not to build up, that is blasphemy!!! Get a b18c like everybody else said.
Old school tuning?? That is just building a motor man, haha. People do those things everyday.

avandy93

avandy93
How much stuff would I have to change to swap to a b18c? Would I have to change the trans? I know I'd have to change the harness and computer right?

lowerclassdc2

you shouldnt have to change the trans my buddy has a 90 ls with a 96 ls trans

lowerclassdc2

yea the bolt atterns should be the same but deffinetly get a b18c the ecu you need to change to a p28 or p72 or get one chipped the ls and gsr ecus are very different

avandy93

avandy93
Is there a reason for rebuilding? As in over heated, burning oil. Etc?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I just want a little more power. It's just a dd but I would like a little more power to have a little more fun driving it.

lowerclassdc2

the gsr and type r trans have shprt gears so you would get a little quicker acceleration than with a ls that has long gears