Muffler rattles on bumps

MIKE16

I have the CE light on, i took it to the mechanic and he told me its either the O2 sensor or the Catalytic Convertor. When i go through bumps, i hear a rattle coming from the rear. Do you think it's something that's lose or the catalytic? I was wondering if any of you has had this problem? He suggested I change the sensor first then if the CE light is still on then it would be the Convertor. I don't want to spend money on the sensor then the Convertor. I forgot to mention I am new to the site.

DC_Five_Earl

I have the CE light on, i took it to the mechanic and he told me its either the O2 sensor or the Catalytic Convertor. When i go through bumps, i hear a rattle coming from the rear. Do you think it's something that's lose or the catalytic? I was wondering if any of you has had this problem? He suggested I change the sensor first then if the CE light is still on then it would be the Convertor. I don't want to spend money on the sensor then the Convertor. I forgot to mention I am new to the site.
Welcome to club integra Mike! Does the check engine blink while your driving? That could be a sign of catalytic converter failure (damage).

DC_Five_Earl

Thanks! No it does not blink, it stays on. It does not smell bad either (gas).
Well for the rattling could be a loose hanger on the muffler, usually it's held by 2 rubber hold-ons

j13

Keep It Clean
What code are you getting?

if a hanger broke it could've pulled the o2 wires out the sensor. The secondary o2 has short wires and if your exhaust is hanging it could damage the wires.

But if it is your secondary o2 I wouldn't worry, it does very little for your engine. It just monitors the functionality of your cat. The ECU relies on the primary o2 to adjustments for the A/F ratio.

Having a bad secondary will do nothing other than pop an error.

Hope this helps, I hate but love o2 sensors.

DC_Five_Earl

What code are you getting?

if a hanger broke it could've pulled the o2 wires out the sensor. The secondary o2 has short wires and if your exhaust is hanging it could damage the wires.

But if it is your secondary o2 I wouldn't worry, it does very little for your engine. It just monitors the functionality of your cat. The ECU relies on the primary o2 to adjustments for the A/F ratio.

Having a bad secondary will do nothing other than pop an error.

Hope this helps, I hate but love o2 sensors.
:werd: good point j13

MIKE16

I don't remember what code he told me but he did say it was either the sensor to the convertor or the actual convertor. I am not sure on which sensor it is either. I don't think it is the convertor b/c I just passed Inspection when I bought like 2 months ago. I don't really know about cars so i'll have him check it out to see if it's the wire you are talking about. I will be there with him to see it myself so i can learn something. thanks again!

MIKE16

I will get the code from him and let you know. Not to get off base here but how do I post a pic? I tried finding out on FAQ but doesnt say.

alex14

VEEEETTAAAAKKKK!!! lol
Mine did the same thing. My cat actually started breaking apart and then the pieces of the catalyst that broke off got stuck in my resonator and muffler. I just got a new cat and resonator. There isnt much left of the pieces in the muffler and its an expensive one so I'm just going to drive it untill the chunks blow out.