Multiple 94 Integra ls problems

chammond

Hi I'm new here and searched around on some of my problems, but someI couldn't really find answers to. I got a 94 integra ls (auto) a few days ago. The car was free, but it has a few problems.

1. Sometimes nothing happens when I try to start the car. All electronics come on, but whenI turn the key to start the car.... Nothing but a click noise. Usually does this and I wait a few seconds/minute and try again until it starts.

2. After fixing the windshield wipers the other day, I noticed a strange bubbling sound while sitting in the car from behind the dash. It's very faint, but with no other noises but the engine running you can hear it.

3. The car consumes a lot of oil I think. When I first got the car Thursday it was topped off and Sunday it was in need of a quart. I had done a lot of driving (couple hundred miles). Not sure what I can do to reduce this.

4. Earlier this evening, I went somewhere. Got out of the car for maybe 5minutes. I come back and the car starts only to bog down and turn off again. When I turn the key the car would turn over and crank as if it were going to start, but just wouldn't. Popped the hood and noticed oil was around one of the plugs since I'd spilt some on accident before don't know if that matters. Got back in and tried again, but nothing. Just waited a few minutes and it started right up and I drove home fine. Don't know why that happened.

5. Last, the car doesn't pass smog. I have no idea why, but it was a family transfer so don't have to smog for a year. Still want to get that fixed though so it'll run good. I dont know what kinds of things can cause it to fail. Any help would be great on that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, a new starter was put in not too long ago so I don't think it would be that.

JayVee

2Dr Banger
I've got a 94' teg aswell so let me see if I can relate &have other people fill in my stumps..

1. Battery may be your first concern . Check the battery , if it's old it might not be engaging your starter motor . If you've got a battery checker check if it's still good or not to rule this out . If it's faulty replace , but if its solid your next concern may be your alternator .

2. I haven't had this issue , but I'd suggest checking your air ventilation &heater/ac . Someone can fill in here if they happen to know .

3. I've had a similar problem with oil running quick . First I'd check if there is any leaks ? If there is oil gasket oil pan , check them first . Then I'd change the oil viscosity to 10w-30 if your burning oil quickly . The higher the thicker &harder to burn . I'm not too familiar on if bluish smoke out of exhaust , but correct me if I'm wrong , it might be an issue with your head gasket . Again correct me if I'm wrong on that last bit .

4. If you saw oil near the spark plugs , most likely your valve cover gasket is shotty and needs replacement . Easy fix &might as well check if it's shotty not hard to do .

5. Last question it can pertain to a lot ! Catalytic converter , exhaust , headers .. if your in CA , smog is a pita . I'd suggest getting a detailed look into unless you can source the problem &fix it yourself .

Anyways man , just my two cents !
Hope i helped .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

DC2MAN1119

1. I dont think it is your battery, for this reason, sometimes it kicks the starter, sometimes it doesnt, so clearly it is ptting 12+ volts to the starter, rule out alternator. For peace of mind go to a vatozone or oreilys or pepboys or wherever and they will test both for free. I think it is the main relay, the clicking noise is coming from under dash, correct me if im wrong, get a new one cheap fix, that fixes your starting issue for stupid cheap.

2. I wouldnt think your windshield washer would have anything to do with this, unless the noise only happens when you try to use the windshield washer fluid.

Is your car getting hot? If you hear it inside the car it may be the coolant boiling in the heater core, and if so, its nothing to worry about once it cools down in your area and you know your cooling system is running properly you should find it to disappear.

3. If your seeing oil in the plugs, the valve cover gasket is allowing them to leak into the cylinders and burn away, that would be the case if their were no apparent leaks. Also, looks for other leaks. Does your car leave oil in peoples driveway?

4. This could be directly related to the oil leaking into the cylinders, oil it tough to burn so it cold have not been letting the fuel ignite and didnt start till it pushed enough into the exhaust and got enough fuel to over power the oil. Bless me if im wrong.

5. The oil leak again doesnt help this, fix the leak and it could help this, you probably need a new catylitic converter as well, clean your iavc with simple green. But i dont know much about smog as i live in kansas and we dont have to do anything like that here.

I feel very confident that these are the problems, but couldnt know for sure till you check, good luck pal!

72Spitfire

#1 will either be low battery voltage or your started beginning to fail.

chammond

1. I think battery could be right for 1 and 2 maybe the battery is boiling and about to give out? Just thought of that lol I've had batteries boil over before. Also the click is more like a ping, would that be the fuel pump priming?

2. The car does not run hot at all. Never has except for one time with last owner due to a coolant leak from one of the hoses cracking.

3. I have no oil leaks that I'm aware of. No oil is left wherever I park. It's always clean. The oil just disappears. I don't think there is bluish smoke. Never noticed it.

4. I spilled the oil on top there was no leak that I saw. I cleaned up most, but I don't know if it somehow could have leaked in is what I meant.

5. Yeah I'm in Ca so smog is a b****! I'm just looking for possible reasons on smog. When I first got it the car would idle funny in park though. Idle sort of high for a second or 2 and then drop down to normal for like a half second and keep fluctuating in a pattern like that. Hasnt happened recently though and didn't think about it when I posted

Edit: there was a lot of oil in all plugs but one. The rubbers at least we're coated with it in all but one. What could this mean then?

Edit2: got the battery tested and it's good so it's not that, also you can hear the bubbling sound more underneath the passenger dash. I don't know what's behind there though.

Last edited:

cvcrcr99

Here's my take on the problems.

1. Check the battery connections to ensure they are tight. My brother Civic did this when he got done work, called me, and I jiggled the ground wire and it started right up.

2. The bubbling noise could be anything. I am not sure honestly. Sorry I couldn't help more.

3. Are you leaking oil? If not, it is being burned (which can tie into problem #5) Piston rings may be shot, or the valve seals may be leaking. Both are a bitch to deal with IMO.

4. Might be oil in the combustion chamber causing this. Take a look at your main relay, too as other have mentioned

5. Not passing msog may be due to oil being burned causing emissions problems.

Edit 1 - The seals may be shot and you just need to replace the VC gaskets (VC seal, spark plug tube seals, amd grommets. Fairly easy to do this.

Edit 2 - Under the passenger dash is the heater core. You could be hearing coolant running through there. Does it smell like coolant. It would be a sweet-type smell.

DC2MAN1119

i stand by everything i said-_-. seriously listen to me and just go get a new main relay, check as fuck. valve cover gasket will fix your other two. i could fix this car in 20 minutes man.

chammond

No it doesn't smell funny in the car. Don't think the sound stays once car is warmed up for bubbling/gurgling sound. I've never really payed attention though. I'm going to do the gasket and relay tomorrow. Been busy over the holiday weekend so sorry for the late reply.

chammond

The gaskets solved the oil leak in the tubes to stop and doesn't seem to be drinking oil down by the quart anymore. I got a new relay, but it kept doing the same thing so I boxed it back up and returned it. It was 50 bucks. Just soldered the old one and put it back on there. Could anything else cause this? Like maybe something around actually turning the key in there is worn out? Bubbling problem remains as well. A bolt on the back end towards the driver side behind the engine of the valve cover keeps spinning too. I don't know how to fix this. It's not letting oil out but it just keeps spinning and can't be tightened down fully. Thanks