my 1990 acura gs sedan is not getting fuel

teggiekid

Ok this is what happened I was driving down a back road 100+ mph and my car died so I pulled over and tried to start it again and it will crank but not start I do not hear the fuel pump kicking on any more and if I spray starter fluid in the intake it fires right up. I'm also going to mention I jumped on the trunk and bounced it a little and the car started then stalled and died again. The owner before me said they installed a new fuel pump aswell could it be faulty? And yes my car has plenty of gs in the tank. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? There's no lights blinking on the dash as if there's anything wrong.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
Similar situation happened to me. Check your fuel filter thats what I did and now I have no problems.
do this first. cheapest fix to start with. Also verify your main relay is working right... when you tunrn the key to the on position it should illuminate the CEL for about 2 sec then make an audible Click when the CEL shuts off... no click means relay may be bad, which in turn can effect the fuel pump.

next check the wiring to the pump... for this you will have to remove the rear bottom seat cushion. being that when yu jump on it and it starts I would guestimate a bad ground...

after you rule out either of those get an inline fuel pressure gauge and see if you are getting pressure to the filter. no pressure = bad pump or a clogged pickup filter (sits inside the tank and is attached to the pump preventing it from sucking up debris)

teggiekid

Yes I do believe the switch is working cuz its doing exactly what u described and were is the fuel filter located on the car is it in the gas tank?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
ok so you now know your main relay is good. next swap out that fuel filter as shown above.

if the pump is not priming or making an audible noise after that click from the main relay that is going to be an indicator you will have to check the wiring and verify you are getting curreent from the ignition to the pum leads... best way to test will be using a multimeter to read voltage at the pump end.

if you do hear the pump actuate and the fuel filter is good you need to get a reading on the fuel pressure at the fuel rail or at the filter.

if you get a reading through the wiring at the pump then it is time to look at the pump itself.